Chapter 1

It was the werewolf ball tonight.

Every unmated werewolf in the country comes to the werewolf king's castle. Males and females all around find their mates. They dance, drink, and have a good time. But the problem for me is, you have to be a shifted wolf to go. I haven't shifted yet, and I should have shifted about two years ago. I have the speed and strength, but just no wolf.

So here I am, in bed, doing nothing. While all my friends are having the time of their life and finding their soulmates.

I wish I could go to the palace, find my mate, and just be happy. Sadly, life doesn't form around my needs.

I get up and go to the bathroom to take my shower.

Looking into the mirror, I see just how different I am compared to everyone else.

I don't have the natural golden skin tone, I'm pale with little to no tint. My eyes aren't your basic gold, brown, or green, no they're stupid violet. I'm 5'9", which is average for wolves. I have blonde hair, which is defiantly not the normal.

Mom says I'm unique, but that basically means I'm weird. My friends and some classmates of mine say I'm pretty and more special and diverse. Why would I want to be diverse? Why can't I be like everyone else? Instead of a non-shifted freak.

Stripping my clothes, I get into the shower. The water is supposed to be hot, but I still feel cold. My skin doesn't absorb heat like other wolves. I'm just naturally always cold, so no matter how hot the water gets, it wont faze me. And being cold doesn't bother me, but I'll admit in the winter, it does get annoying seeing all my friends in shorts and crop tops while I'm rocking four layers of sweaters.

Rubbing some shampoo in my hair I start letting my mind wander.

I wonder what Piper and Melissa are doing? Have they found their mates? I know this is selfish of me to say, but I hope not. Then I'll be the only one who hasn't shifted and has no mate.

Piper and Melissa are some of my close friends. Piper use to be my neighbor and since Melissa is her cousin, I saw both of them constantly. Ever since my parents and I moved into the neighborhood, we clicked.

And now we're all in high school, growing up and finding ourselves. We're still close which I find a blessing.

Piper and Melissa both shifted when they turned 13. While at my huge birthday bash, waiting till 12 o'clock in the woods, fully nude, for nothing to happened.

It was so embarrassing to walk back to my clothes and put them back on, with everyone watching. I should have shifted and joined all my friends on my first ever run in wolf form.

Mom says I'm not the runt of the pack, but I sure feel like one. Kids younger than me have their wolves, while I have to take the bus with the humans.

I turn off the water and get out of the shower, wrapping a towel around myself. I tip toe into my room and over to my closet. I pick out some basic pajamas and start changing.

"Diana! Dinner's ready!" Dad calls from downstairs.

Dang it, and just when I was about to go to bed and sleep this boring day off.

I put some slippers on and head to the kitchen downstairs. Mom is behind the stove, still cooking away. Dad is on the couch watching the television.

"Oh Diana, can you set the table?" Mom asks me with her usual kind smile.

I nod and go get the plates. But my phone rings.

I answer it, knowing its Melissa and Piper.

"Hey, how was the ball?"

Piper groans on the line, "It ended early. King Damon and Queen Adriana came and ruined the whole thing."

King Damon is the ruler of all vampires. His family is a direct decedent from Dracula himself. And Queen Adriana is an Italian woman that just so happen to be the beloved of the king of the vampires.

Okay, let me explain a couple things about a mate and a beloved. Mates is sort for soulmates, it's a werewolf term. A beloved is something completely different. They're almost like soulmates, but the difference is the ceremony behind it plus the fact vampires only get one. Mates are bonded by their soul, while a vampire's beloved is bonded through their infinite life. I don't wanna say they cherish them more, but I heard that having a vampire as a mate is a true blessing. But again, clearly different.

Werewolves can get second-chance mates, but vampires can't. Werewolves can have kids anytime, but vampires can only have children with their beloved, and it's very rare.

But in reality, as much as I hate to say it. Vampires are stronger than us werewolves. It's a sad truth, but you have to learn to accept it at some point.

So I guess that's why werewolves and vampires just don't mix. Werewolves are too prideful of themselves to admit they've been beaten when it comes to power.

"Do you know why they were there?" I ask.

Melissa speaks up, "Rumor has been going around saying that the King and Queen once had a daughter that was taken as a baby. They've finally pin pointed where the child is. They were hoping the daughter was going to be at the ball so they can just swoop in and take her back home. Well this is just a rumor. Who knows if it's even real."

"Wow, I feel really bad for the lost daughter. That'd be awful. Being surrounded by werewolves and you're the only vampire. That'd be so embarrassing."

"That's the thing!" Piper yells into the phone, "Johnny said that the girl was apparently raised by werewolves and has no clue she's a vampire!"

Now this is getting interesting.

"Okay," I try to sum it up, "So this girl was taken as a child and raised by werewolves her entire life. And has been the missing princess of King Damon and Queen Adriana. And so they went to find her at the werewolf ball, in hopes of getting their daughter back. I just have one question."

"What?"

"Who is this girl?"

"We don't know," they say in unison.

"Okay guys. Thanks for the info, but I'm having dinner right now. Talk to you later."

"Bye," they hang up.

I was about to tell Mom the full story on what went down at the ball, but was interrupted by the knocking on our front door.

"Mr. and Mrs. Godfrey! Give up the princess now! We have you surrounded!" A loud booming voice comes from the other side.

What is going on?