Father/Son

Michael's POV

I woke up to the sound of my daughter screaming at Amanda, my wife,  for whatever fucking reason she had this time. I was so sick of my children's attitudes; I pay the bills, I do everything for this house, Amanda supports them at home, and they still don't appreciate us.

"You're such a fucking dictator!" Tracy shouted at Amanda, "why the fuck not?" She must have been asking for something ridiculous again.

"He is not staying the night!" Amanda repeated, "he's a bum!"

"Oh my god!" Tracy whined because some stretchy jackass couldn't stay over.

"I don't even know why you are with him!"

"Are you kidding me? He doesn't have anywhere else to go! He is homeless!"

I ignored the conversations and went to sit outside in a chair by the pool. They continued to yell, but I just sat down with a glass of whiskey. I put my earbuds in and smoked a cigar. I was living the life, and my family could not prevent me from enjoying it. I was relaxing until I saw a young man walked up to me. It was the boy from the car dealership, the one who tried to repo my son Jimmy's car.

"What do you want?" I asked, taking out one earbud.
"Man, I come by for that drink you offered. That's all."
"I wasn't really seriously about that."
"What?"
"You're here, whatever. Sit." I motioned my hand. He took a seat next to me and shook his head a bit.

"You're not gonna rob me again right?" I joked.

"Man, I never robbed you," Franklin retaliated, "that was just a repossession." Yeah, a repossession for a crook.

"Okay... you call it whatever you wanna call it," I told him, "I really don't care."

"What can I do for ya?" I asked again.

"Shit, I just came by to see if there was anythin' I can help you with. I see you doin' well for yourself." He motioned towards my home and pool. If only he knew where it all came from.

"Look, I'm retired."
"Ain't you a bit young for the pipe, slippers, and starin' at a fucking sunset?"

"You know, I've been in this game for a lot of years," I began, "and I got out alive. That makes me the right age. You look like a good kid. You want my advice? You give this shit up. You work hard, screw over everybody that you love, hurt, rob, indiscriminately and, maybe, just maybe, if you're lucky, you become a three bit gangster. It's bullshit. Go to college. And  then you can rip people off and get paid for it. It's called capitalism."

I leaned back in my chair and the boy stared at me before beginning to speak, "hmm, so what I saw the other day was like and a corpse briefly reanimates itself and terrorizes everyone, right?" Kid had a smart mouth. I liked that about him.
"What you saw the other day," I began, "was a guy dealing with pests."
"I guess I never saw myself as just a fuckin' pest."
"Well, today's lesson's all about humility. Tomorrow we try a training montage." My sarcasm never failed to come out at the best times. "A training what?" Franklin asked.
"Nothin'" I chuckled, "I was just lost in an eighties movie fantasy."
"Yeah, I can see you spend a lot of time there." He retaliated.
"Yeah as much as I can."
"So that's why you be living in Vineland, right?"
"Maybe I'm here because I'm just an idiot imported palm trees are a good substitute for not really knowing what the fuck you're doing on this earth." It was like the words came out of me and I couldn't control it. It was the truth, man.
"Jesus, man," Franklin joked, "you're a good time, you know that?" I sat up on my lawn chair and compromised with the boy.
"I'll tell you what," I compromised, "the least I can do is buy you that beer. There's a little bar I like; it's not that far from here."
"Alright, man, I'm following you."