I'll Pretend I Didn't Notice

I'll pretend I didn't notice that you missed our best friend's graduation party because you were still too drunk, and too high, the morning after a wild night.

I'll pretend I didn't notice that you broke up with your most recent, perfectly nice girlfriend because she didn't like the way your bipolar disorder mixed with alcohol. Your habits only got worse because you didn't have to try to behave for her anymore.

I'll pretend I didn't notice the hypocrisy. You can go back to your ex girlfriend that likes to play mind games with you when it's convenient for her despite my warnings, but you'll hold a grudge against our friend that is back with her boyfriend she tried to break up with.

I'll pretend I didn't notice that both you and your best friend avoid contacting each other. I'll pretend not to notice that you miss each other, but you're both too independent to extend a greeting until you're both back home. Neither wants to be the sentimental one that's still stuck in high school.

I'll pretend I didn't notice that when you adamantly state that you don't want anything to do with high school, you are implying that I do.

That you joined your frat for all the wrong reasons.

That you're more worried about your new frat brothers than your sister or your brother.

That you drink for all the wrong reasons.

That drunken one night stands are dangerous for her and dangerous for you.

That you show warning signs and I'm worried abut your grades, but it's not my place to mother you or pry. I'm worried about your success.

That you associate any help, concern, or criticism I offer to you with your mother's nagging.

But I'll pretend I didn't notice.