Chapter 12

The little girl ran towards her bed in a hurry. He black hair was pulled into two low pigtails. Her father came roaring in after her; his arms raised as a mock monster.

"I'm the angry tooth monster! Did you brush your teeth, little girl?" He lowered his voice beyond his normal tone. The daughter giggled.

"Yes, Daddy-Monster! Now come on! Tell me a story!" She wiggled happily under her covers and then patted the space next to her. Her dad dropped the act, walking over to her.

"Which story should I tell this time?" He asked her as he sat down. She turned her body towards him as she rested her head down onto her pillow.

"The story about the Mystery Pack!" She exclaimed, throwing her right arm up into the air in exaggeration before bring it back down. Her dad chuckled before tweaking her nose.

"Once upon a time, there was a large pack that lived in the forest. They were secretive about their whereabouts; none of the other packs knew where to find them. But, they still took part in meeting, always lending their wisdom."

"But- but they never had meetings in their territory, right?" The daughter interrupted, even though she had heard the story at least a dozen times. After the first time her father had told her the story, she was fascinated with it.

"That's right, pumpkin. The Alpha pair of the pack wanted for their pack to stay safe, so they withheld all information about their location. This led them to gain the title 'The Mystery Pack'."

"Did the other Alphas like that they kept secrets from them?" She asked, staring up at her father with large eyes.

"They didn't really like that they kept it a secret, but they could respect their wishes. One day, the packs held a meeting, and the Alphas of the pack didn't show up. The other packs got a bit worried. The two had never missed a meeting since they had came into power. Yet, the packs couldn't help them because they didn't know where to find them. Later during the meeting, a young boy of about 15 ran into the meeting. He told them that he came as a warning to the other packs. A new threat had risen from the human world. A group of hunters that called themselves 'Company'."

The little girl gasped loudly. "Hunters are bad people! I don't know why they harm us!"

"They harm us because we are different. Humans are scared of the unknown, and that's what we are, Adriane." He rubbed his daughter's side, comforting her. "The boy said that the hunters had some how found his pack's location, and that if they could find their's, they could easily find our's. This was a warning the Alphas couldn't overlook. The Alphas demanded the boy tell them what had happened.

"The boy began to explain that the hunters had invaded their territory, taking all the young wolves from their parents. The pack went into a panic. The hunters had managed to kill the Alpha pair and take their young son. Without any heir or leaders, the pack went into chaos. They eventually disbanded and died slowly out. That fall of The Mystery Pack was the first stepping stone to the pack abductions. The Alphas were grateful for the warning the one boy brought though."

"This isn't actually going to happen, right Daddy? I don't want to ever be taken from the pack. I don't ever want to lose you and Mommy! I'll be with you forever and ever!" Her dad smiled sadly at her as he petted her hair.

"That's right sweetie. No one will take you from us." She grinned happily before snuggling into her pillow and closing her eyes.

Jake's POV

He returned to Wisconsin with a heavy heart. He knew what not finding Adriane had meant for her. He sulked over the border, ignoring patrol when they bowed their heads towards him. His hands were shoved deep in his pockets and he kept his head low.

He made his way into the pack house and up to his father's office. He didn't talk to anyone as he passed them. Opening the door, he enter the pack office before closing it behind him. His father glanced up from his paper.

"Couldn't find her?" His father asked in an indifferent, bored tone. Jake growled lowly.

"No."

Jake's dad looked up from his paper and took his reading glasses off and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"I'll make the official papers and announce to the pack that Adriane has been cast out and now has attained rogue status." Jake snarled loudly, slamming his hands onto his father's desk. His father rose from his seat, eyes glowing dangerously. Jake's expression matched his father's.

"Don't challenge me, pup. There's no way you can save Adriane. She will be thrown out of this pack. She disobeyed Alpha's order, family or not!" His father yelled. Jake growled, shoving his face closer to his father's.

"I can save Adriane. She doesn't deserve to be kicked out of this pack! We took her in when she needed us! She's family! Alpha Carmrich, I challenge you for position of Alpha of this pack."

"You can't take that back," his father hissed out, his eyes narrowing into a threatening glare. Jake met his father's eyes, not at all intimidated by his hostility.

"That's the point."