Chapter 24

Adriane awoke with a start. She glanced around the room, noticing how everything was cast in a deep orange glow as the sun set through the window. The familiar setting registering in her mind as she looked around her room at the Stone Hearth Inn. Her eyes met those of her expecting mate. A sigh of relief released itself from his mouth as he got up from his seat and headed for the side of the bed. He sat down, grabbing her hand.

"You scared me there for a bit." He muttered softly to her, her heart clenching at the thought of her mate worrying over her own wellbeing. Nathaniel brushed his free hand over where the wound was. The clothing material was cut and tinged a dark red with the dried blood. The skin below sported a small, pink, vertical scar to the left of her belly button.

"I should shower and change." She said suddenly, remembering her appearance in the metal door. She stood up quickly, and Adriane grabbed a throw-together outfit before locking herself into the bathroom. She rested briefly against the door before doing to what she went in there to do.

She peeled off the sweatshirt and the pants; her skin prickled with goosebumps as the cool air hit her bare skin. She turned on the shower head, adjusting the knobs until she was happy with the temperature. She peeled off her remaining garments before tentatively stepping into the shower.

The warm water calmed her tensed muscles. She was glad she wasn't dirty enough to the point the water changed color as she washed. She grabbed the tiny shampoo that came with the room, squirting it into her hand. Scrubbing it into her hair, she sighed in happiness. The greasy tangles that made up her hair slowly washed away, leaving nothing but clean silkiness. Then the realization hit her.

Her cousin was dead. Killed by her mate in self-defense. Her eyes burned as if she had gotten shampoo in them. Her bottom lip began trembling. She bit it, trying to control her actions, but the grief overwhelmed her. A small sob came loose. She shrank down into a small ball, her lower back resting against the wall. She wrapped her arms around her legs as she cried into her knees. She'd never seen her cousin smile again. Never hear the teasing pokes again. She'll never see Amber find her mate, go to college, have a family. Hell, she would even get to see her drive.

After a while in the shower, and a lot of broken sobs later, she turned the water off. She stepped out, scrubbing herself clean of water. Sliding on her clothing, she toweled her hair quickly before leaving it to air dry. She courageously met her reflection in the mirror. She was content to see that her cheeks were rosy from the heat of the water and effectively his that she had been crying. Her chest felt like a weight had been lifted after the time of crying. She walked out, seeing her mate now lounging on the bed with a book she had brought for some odd reason.

"The idea of immortals is so preposterous." He muttered on his breath as she walked in. She smiled at him softly a bit, taking in his judgmental eyes and scrunched up nose.

"We should probably call my uncle and give him the... Uh, news," she said, swallowing around the thick ball that decided to form in her throat once again. He frowned before scooting over and patting the part of the bed next to him. She slowly made her way over, her throat constricting. It was self-defense. Self-defense, Adriane. She smiled weakly at him before sitting on the opposite side of the bed than him. Nathaniel frowned, but didn't question her. She scowled, remembering she didn't have a way to call her uncle.

"Nathaniel? You don't happen to have a cell phone on you, do you?" He nodded, and handed it over without hesitation. Adriane dialed the phone number she had memorized by heart. On the third ring, the call got picked up.

"Hello?"

"Jake?" Adriane asked incredulously. "Why did you answer the phone? Where's Uncle John?"