one: him

[Is anybody listening now, Does anybody miss me now]

[What can I do, To get through to you]

---

         Midnight was when our fun really began. When the moon illuminated at its peak, I would tiptoe past the twins' room, and knock lightly on his door, which he would open in a heartbeat.

          We didn't do much, really, or even talk. Usually we'd be on my laptop, mindlessly surfing the net together. I tried to get him into Ed Sheeran, but he refused to listen to such "weak vocals". He always wanted to listen to ear-splitting operas, like Vivaldi's opera Ottone In Villa or Mozart's apparently impressive operas that branched out to three genres. Today, though, he was in the mood for metal, which was one modern genre that he didn't mind.

          I really didn't get his taste in music, and he didn't get mine either. But it was okay; the appreciation we shared of each other's company was mutual.

---

          SILENT RAYS OF IMPATIENCE radiated off of Sheena's countenance as she leaned against the rink's short walls, right in front of the McDonald's banner advertising their new breakfast burgers full of irresistible preservatives. Two hours ago, she had asked if we could leave, but I persistently refused to get off the icy floor unless it was time for the Zamboni to smooth out the ice again.

          Three-thirty was when we arrived. The massive handle of the clock that hung above had now just struck seven. It was an understatement for her being just a little agitated.

          Skating over to where she was, I said over the booming holiday music, "Just give me a couple more minutes."

          Sheena, who had one hand on the railings, replied with a roll of her eyes as she went back to her phone. Underneath her maroon knit beanie, her raven black hair was in two tight braids, accenting her Asian features with darker makeup than usual. Along with her plaid scarf and the oversized gray winter coat she had on, she was not only stylish for the chilly season, but also snugly dressed compared to my attire, as I only had on a pair of tight skinny jeans and our school's navy blue hoodie.

          She knew it was going to take more than a couple of minutes, but she didn't know exactly why. She didn't ask. She just knew I was looking for someone, and also knew that I would probably treat her to some good food after I was done which was the only reason why she was willing to stick around. Who wouldn't pass up free food?

           Almost four hours had passed from the time we hit the rink, but I still couldn't find what I came here for. If he was going to be here, it had to be now, when the sky was pitch dark, when the decorated holiday lights painfully illuminated from all angles, when only sixty minutes remained until the rink closed. This had to be the moment, where I would see him awkwardly trying to slide on the slippery surface, where he would have ridiculous winter gear on, where he would be clinging onto the railing for dear life while still enjoying the activity.

          But he wasn't here. There were couples laughing as they toppled over each other, high school students celebrating the last day of school for the winter semester, even a mother skating with a stroller in front of her surrounding me. Not him, though.

          Figuring that there was no point in leaving Sheena alone in a corner fidgeting with her phone for any longer, I turned around, about to speed over to where my she idling.