Chapter One

Chapter One

Elizabeth Catherine Grace P.O.V.

I looked at the girl in confusion.

"What?" I asked.

"Can I trust you?" she whispered. I looked into her dark eyes and, half consciously, nodded. She grinned, her bright white teeth shocking against her skin. She took my hand and I shivered. She had an unsettling feeling about her.

"Close your eyes," She whispered. I looked at her uncertainly for a moment.

"Dont try anything funny," I warned her. Her eyes widened.

"Of course not," she murmured, squeezing my hand. I closed my eyes and her light fingers traced my eyelashes.

"I'll teach you how to remember," she whispered, "I'm almost to heaven, and I have to pass it on." My eyelids fluttered and her hand returned, covering my eyes.

"Keep them closed. It won't work if you don't." I sighed softly.

"Now, think back about your friends, your family... your love," she told me. I opened my eyes.

"How does this help?" I snapped, "I can do this anyways."  I glanced around, but no one had noticed. The girl looked hurt.

"Just trust me. It helps."

I closed my eyes again and sighed. With a breath of cold air and a tingle down my spine, I was suddenly sitting on a hard surface. 

"Lizzie? Lizzie!" a very familiar voice called. I opened my eyes and gasped. In front of me sat my best friend, Kryssie. 

"Kryssie! Are you dead too?!" I shrieked. I got a few stares from the people around us. I was sitting in the cafeteria of my high school. Kryssie looked at me like I was crazy.

"What do you mean am I dead? Do I look dead?" she asked. Her crazy red hair had been pulled back in a ponytail and her gray eyes looked at me.

"Lizzie, are you okay?" she asked me. I put a hand to my head and nodded.

"Yeah, I think so," I murmured. I glanced down at myself to see my same old dark skinny jeans and a flowy pink tank top under a white cardigan. I touched my fingertips to my face. Solid. I wasn't dreaming? What had happened to that little girl? 

"Liz, are you sure you're okay?" Kryssie looked at me with concern. 

"I'm fine, I'm fine. I have to go. I'll see you in trig, okay?" with that, I grabbed my bag and hurried out of the lunch room. I sighed to myself. What was going on? Was I dead, or not? I groaned to myself before looking up in time to crash into a solid dark wall.

"Woah, there! No need to throw yourself at me," a guy's voice laughed. I stepped back and frowned at him.

"Oh! Sorry, Alex," I muttered before hurrying away from my friend.

"Hey, Lizzie, wait! Where are you going?" he asked, running after me. I stopped and looked at him.

"I'm fine. Leave me alone. Tell Kryssie to meet me outside," I Sighed, changing my mind. I had to tell Kryssie. If she didn't believe me, she'd laugh and think it was a joke. No big deal.

***

I sat under the big maple tree that was one of the few trees at our school. It was in the back corner, past the football stadium, and baseball field, and swimming pool. I leaned my head back against the tree, my eyes closing. What was going on? Really, what was? Should I tell Kryssie? I mean, if I didn't she'd find out something was up eventually. She was my best friend. She'd know. I heard footsteps crunch on the grass.

"What's up, Liz?" I heard Kryssie's voice ask. I felt her sit beside me, leaning against the tree like I did.

"Kryssie, I'm going to tell you something and you're going to think I'm absolutely insanely crazy. But it's true. Please, please please believe me. I'm not lying, not joking, absolutely dead serious," I almost laughed at my own unintended pun.

"Umm...okay," I heard her say and I opened my eyes, training them on her face. I looked at the freckles that ran across her nose and cheeks. Her gray eyes watched me warily, almost as though she were scared of what I was going to tell her.

"Kryssie," I said, taking a deep breath, "I think I'm...dead."