Chapter 22

Merlin

     "Robert?" Merlin called out, looking for his friend. "Robert?"

     "Merlin!" called Robert.

     Merlin turned, trying to locate his friend through the ever-shifting masses. He found him, and saw that his friend was hindered by his cuffs. If only Robert could activate his abilities, then he could get them all out of there.

     Someone shoved Merlin and he stumbled. Another shoved Robert, who nearly toppled over as a result. Merlin raised his hand and activated the very thing that got him locked away. He closed his eyes, his mind reaching out in the form of a telekinetic wave.

     The man who had pushed Robert got shoved back by an invisible force. Robert staggered back to his feet, and another man came from behind. Merlin ran and flicked his wrist, sending the prisoner flying backwards high off of the ground.

     "Get to the walls!" Merlin ordered. "I'll keep you covered."

     He raised his hand, another prisoner threatening to tackle him, and watched with satisfaction as he soared away.

     War was beginning to break out.

**

Ellie

     "The war," Gabriel croaked, "it's coming."

     "Pull yourself together!" cried Ellie. "I know you! We can work together!"

     Gabriel shook his head, "That's not your path Ellie."

     He staggered to the wall, trying to suppress another wave of intense laughter.

     "What?" asked Ellie. "What do you mean?"

     "There's only one future Ellie, the one the visions show me," gasped Gabriel. "I've seen what you do, what you become, and it is vital that you stay on that path!"

     "Why?" asked Ellie.

     "So you can save the world," whispered Gabriel, looking at Ellie. "So you can be united."

     "I-I don't understand," answered Ellie.

     "I'm on a mission, to ensure the survival of the human race!" hissed Gabriel. "I have one goal, and I must reach it. I'm the catalyst, the creator of the guardians of posterity. The chosen ones must stay on their path! Everything I've done, from infiltrating C.I.N.A. to releasing the necessary prisoners, has been a part of achieving that goal."

     Gabriel grabbed his stomach and slid to the ground. Sweat dotted his forehead and a painful smile tugged at his lips.

     "I've seen the future..." whispered Gabriel. "I saw all the death...so much death...but I saw more."

     Ellie was frozen in shock.

     "I saw the hooded one," Gabriel cringed, tears seeping down his face, "t-the renegade, and...."

     "And what?" asked Ellie.

     Gabriel looked into Ellie's eyes, "You. I saw...you. Ellie, you're what's standing between total annihilation and...it."

     "Who's it?" asked Ellie, desperately looking for more information.

     "The dark one," whispered Gabriel. "The imprisoned one. Its coming...and I will play my part in its release...but that event, that terrible event, will be the birth of something far greater. Something that will last for...generations...a legacy, my legacy."

     Ellie shook her head in denial.

     "Millions will die today," coughed Gabriel, "so that billions will live tomorrow..."

     He looked into Ellie's eyes and she faintly saw a glimmer of the man he had once been. Then, that glimmer was gone.

     Gabriel sprang from his position and tackled Ellie.

**

Merlin

     The world was in complete chaos. Prisoners fought, powers were used, and the entire complex threatened to topple. In the midst of all the chaos, two men tried to defend themselves. Merlin sent people flying, and Robert punched people as hard as he could. Their resistance, however, was futile.

**

Ellie

     Ellie punched Gabriel in the face and he was sent staggering. She spread her legs, flipping him to the ground when he attacked her once more.

     "Stop!" Ellie begged. "Please!"

     Gabriel snarled and sprinted, but Ellie raised her hand. An electronic surge shot through the wall and electrocuted Gabriel in the chest. His body shook, but when the surge stopped he appeared to be unaffected.

     "Crap," breathed Ellie.

     Ellie ordered the doors to open and she sprinted out before Gabriel could attack her again. He cackled with insanity, disappearing into the crowd before Ellie could shut the doors once more.

     "Ellie!" a voice cried out.

     Ellie turned and saw Merlin pushing people away with what she thought was the Force. He ran to her with Robert right at his side.

     "Your powers..." Ellie gasped.

     "Telekinesis," Merlin answered, waving his hand in dismissal. "Where's Gabriel?"

     "He's gone..." Ellie responded. "He said a lot of things that didn't make sense, and he's not the man I used to know. I'm worried about him."

     "Which way did he go?" asked Merlin.

     Ellie pointed.

     "We've got to stop him," Ellie insisted. "I've gotta a bad feeling about what he has planned. Gabriel keeps saying that he's the creator..."   

     Merlin looked to Robert, and he nodded.

     "Let's go."