Chapter One

The morning light fluttered in through the nursery entrance, and the sweet sound of birdsong filled the air. Hazelkit blinked her eyes open. Beside her, Batkit, her brother was sleeping soundly. The black tom was nuzzled up to their mother, Cherrysong.

Across the other side of the den, Lilypatch was stirring. Her kits had become apprentices moons ago, but the silver and white she-cat had decided to stay in the nursery permanently.

Fluffpelt and her kits were already awake. Ferretkit, Mosskit and Sparrowkit were only two moons old. The three balls of fur were suckling at their mother's belly for milk.

Hazelkit had moved on to eating fresh kill moons ago. In fact, she was only half a moon away from becoming an apprentice. I'm so excited! She thought. Though it may not be so easy for Batkit...

The little tom squirmed beside her, yawning and eventually opening his blank amber eyes.

"Hazelkit?"

He whispered.

"You up?"

Hazelkit stood up and gave her chest a quick lick.

"Yup,"

She whispered back.

Batkit stood up as well.

"I'm hungry, but we should probably let Cherrysong sleep. She won't mind if we go an get some freshkill, will she?"

"I don't think she'd mind,"

Lilypatch whispered from the other side of the nursery.

"You're big enough to look after yourselves. I'll tell her where you are if she asks,"

She chirped.

"Thanks, Lilypatch,"

The two kits thanked the queen in unison, before heading for the exit.

"Oof,"

Hazelkit looked behind her. Batkit was picking himself up of the ground, shaking his black pelt free of dust.

"Stupid twig,"

Batkit muttered.

Hazelkit felt a wave of compassion for her brother. If only he wasn't blind...

The clearing was well full time the time Hazelkit and Batkit had made it to the freshkill pile. Ashleaf was assembling hunting patrols beneath the leader's den, as usual. Hazelkit spotted Suntail sorting herbs in the entrance to the medicine den.

She picked a small sparrow for herself. I'd better bring Lilypatch and Fluffpelt something. She thought. Hazelkit chose a plump squirrel from the small freshkill pile.

"You don't need that much, fatty,"

Batkit teased.

"It's for Fluffpelt, if you must know,"

Hazelkit retorted.

"And Lilypatch can have some too,"

At that moment, a young tortoiseshell padded up to the duo.

"Morning Hazelkit, Batkit,"

He meowed.

"Hi, Robinpaw!"

Hazelkit squeaked. Robinpaw and his sister were her denmates a couple of moons ago, before they became apprentices.

"Are you training today?"

She enquired.

"No,"

Robinpaw's tail drooped.

"I'm on apprentice duties,"

He eyed the squirrel.

"Is that for the nursery?"

"Yeah! I picked it out myself,"

Hazelkit purred.

"I'm sure they'll love it. Would you like me to take it for you? I'm on my way to change the moss anyway,"