T W E N T Y - F O U R: The End?

***DEADLOX'S POV***

Why? Why are we here, really? What contract binds us to being out here, saving the world? What keeps us held down in this position, putting our lives on the line constantly to save the lives of others? Who are we to be doing this? Why us? Why now? And if not now, when?

We will draw the Wither Worshipers away. We will make them regret ever thinking about rebuilding that portal. We will succeed.

War is now. The four team members on the recon end of the mission have already set out on their journey. They're most likely in the camp now. Nonetheless, we are at war. We have been at war for far too long. We have done far too much in too little time. We have worked ourselves ragged, tired ourselves out, and given more than we can ever ask to receive. That is the cost of war.

I stand near Ashley, Preston, Elizabeth, Woofless, and Nooch. We discuss our end of the mission. Our job is to help with the killing of the Wither Worshipers. Preston's job is to burn the camp, and our job is to kill off any that aren't killed in the fire. It may sound brutal, but we do what we have to do. As a group, the four of us make small talk, trying to forget what our real job is. I just want to go home, to live life like a normal person. I want to go to work everyday, I want to go out to lunch with friends on the weekends. I want to get angry when it rains, not when a friend dies on my account. I want to watch TV and play video games with friends. I want to be normal, for once.

I keep these thought to myself. They are pointless. They serve no purpose. If I succeed, I can be normal again. I can have these wretched wings removed, I can go back to living my normal life, to being happy again.

We wait for an hour or so, and then Jason arrives with a wounded Sierra in his arms. Seto runs over immediately, taking Sierra from Jason's arms and placing her on the ground as he casts a spell of healing on her.

"Jason, report!" Sky calls. Jason salutes. This is a military operation, after all. "Was the mission a success or a failure? Where are the others?"

"Sir, the others were all killed." Jason begins. "Sierra and I collected all of the Intel on anything the Wither Worshipers were planning on doing. Sierra shrunk them with a spell. I have them all on me now, sir."

"Good. Keep them there. Preston, begin your part of the mission. Deadlox, signal NightShroud."

"Yes, sir!" I call, and salute as well. I spread my wings and fly up above the trees, and think hard about reaching NightShroud. Its been getting harder and harder to contact him lately.

We need you, NightShroud, I call to him. Hurry!

I then land and grab Preston by the wrist. "Come with me," I say. "It'll be easier if you're in the air when NightShroud comes to pick you up. The rest of you, assume battle positions! If so much as one Wither Worshiper is left standing after this, I guarantee, you'll never hear the end of it! Go!"

The team falls out, Preston's army in tow, but Seto and Sierra remain. Sierra is coming to, thank Notch, but I don't have time to wish her a good recovery. This is war.

I pick up Preston bridal style, as that's the only way he won't get in the way of my wings, and I take off. I hover in the air, tiring slowly but refusing to show it.

Only about five minutes later, NightShroud appears. The Dragon has something in its mouth, something purple and shiny. He sees me and flies in my direction, then slows down and goes beneath me as he moves close to us. When I hover directly above the Dragon, I release Preston and he falls onto NightShroud's back, as planned. NightShroud cocks his head back, and the item in his mouth goes flying in my direction. It's a sword. I catch it and give NightShroud an acknowledging nod, then call good luck to both Preston and the Dragon.