Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Two days had passed since the Imperials had put their catapults to use, and I was still just as completely ignorant to what their plan was as ever. Far from clearing any of the multitudes of doubts I had about this entire situation up, the barrage of rocks had only added to my mystification.

After I had ensured anyone who didn't absolutely have to be on the walls or scouting had gotten safely underneath the shelter of the strongest buildings in Whiterun, I had mounted the wall myself in an attempt to study the missiles. To my surprise, I found that the rain had actually lessened enough to see the distant machines. I ignored the part of my mind that was shoving a list of reasons in my face detailing why this sudden visibility was incredibly suspicious in that it coincided perfectly with the Imperials' sudden choice to use the catapults. At least this will give us on the wall time to move if one comes toward us, I reasoned, trying to see the bright side for once in many days.

Except I never actually had to move. Neither did anyone else on the wall. Neither did anyone down at the drawbridge or lower gate. Actually, aside from the center of Dragonsreach or several feet underground, the wall seemed to be the safest place to be.

Most Stormcloak soldiers laughed, watching as the rocks sailed overhead, many doing nothing more destructive than burying themselves in the road. Deprecating comments abounded as the watchers on the walls wondered what kind of mead those manning the catapults had consumed before operating the machines, and instead of having the demoralizing effect I had feared, the barrage seemed to actually be bolstering the Stormcloaks' spirits.

Some soldiers, however, abstained from joining their jesting counterparts. Their brows furrowed, they watched the distant machines with guarded expressions.

I was one of these. As the stones continued to miraculously avoid the wall, I decided that either the Imperials had the worst aim ever-

-or the best aim ever. The continuous shaking and crashing as the rocks thundered down and hit inconsequential parts of Whiterun was not so much miraculous as it was meticulous. The missiles were very carefully avoiding striking any important defensive points in the city, whether it be the lower gate, drawbridge, main gate, walls, or even Dragonsreach.

As yet another stone sailed over my head to smash through a wall of Belethor's abandoned shop, I racked my brain for an answer as to why the Imperials would want to do the opposite of any normal siege strategy and avoid critical defense points.

There was really only one answer, and I really didn't like it.

Why would the Imperials not want to take away Whiterun's defenses? If the Imperials managed to take the city and they destroyed its key defenses in the process, they would be hard pressed to defend it themselves when Ulfric sent another army to get it back.

Most commanders would know this, but would either have confidence in their ability to hold the city anyway or want to minimize losses by taking it quickly, no matter the means or long term cost. Did this mean that the Imperial commander didn't think he would be able to hold the city later? If he couldn't hold Whiterun with the help of ten dragons, he didn't deserve to command so much as a horse. I already knew that minimizing losses wasn't on the Imperials' minds, since they had decided to test our defenses with troops rather than destroy our defenses with catapults.

Since very few things made sense, I was left with one thought that did. If the Imperials thought that they had another, easier way to take Whiterun, delaying the use of the catapults and testing out defenses with soldiers might make a bit more sense.