Ephemeral

"So how old are you Brooklyn?" Harold says.

"14 going 15." I say as I watch the horizon and passing cars.

"Being fourteen is one of the best years you will have, better make your life the best goddamn one yet or it will be Ephemeral." His eyes straight forward while driving.

I'm sitting in the back while Carl is in the front.

Carl turns back to see me occasionally.
That's one of the reasons why I really like him, no love.

"Here it is. Not to shabby I would say. Do you like it kids?" He parks the car in front of the huge house.

Just two stories but a hell of a size.

"It's great, so are you living there too?" Carl asks.

"No, just helping out, you can stay until you feel you can get your self out of that problem you caused." Harold mutters and gives Carl some kind of look that confused me.

Is he mad at Carl or sarcastically says it?

Carl gets out and opens the passenger seat for me.

"By Debbie." I hug her from across.

"Bye Brooklyn." She says.

I get out of the car and I wave to her goodbye.

I watch the car back out and drive away.

"Let's get inside." Carl takes my right hand and walks with me to the main door.

"Got the keys?" I ask.

"Yeah." He takes them out of his pocket and opens the front door.

"It's very nice of Harold to hand this place to you." I look around and see this big place.

"And the whole place is to ourselves." Carl wraps his hands around my waist and whispers in my ear.

I smirk and turn to face him.

"What have you planned?"my hands trail up and down his shoulders.

"We get some snacks, hopefully some wine." Carl kisses my forehead.

I hug him, I don't know why, it just felt like it was necessary.

"Carl?" I say.

"Yes baby girl?" He hugs back.

"I love you." I grab his cheeks and smash my lips onto his.
Carl holds my waist pulls me closer.

"I love you too." He kisses me one last time before interlocking our fingers together and walking me to the living room.

"Hopefully the old man has some movies." I sit down on the huge sofa and Carl searches under the television set.

He finds one and he decides to put it on.

"I'll see what's in the kitchen." I tell Carl and go to the kitchen.
Jesus, they went overboard with the expensive decorations in this house.

"Does Harold use 5 dollar bills to wipe his ass?" I go to the counters and look for some snacks. I find some gummy bears, some chocolate bars and bags of pre-popped popcorn.

A separate fridge catches my attention.

I open it and to my surprise, alcohol. I start reading the brands of the bottles. Belgian beers and highly expensive vodkas and liquor.

I take a bottle of liquor out and two glasses along with the snacks to the living room.

"Come on, the movie started." Carl pats on a place where he wants me to sit. I set all the things on the table in front of us and sit down next to him.

-----------------------------------

About thirty minutes into this movie and there's a sex scene being shown. I could tell Carl was uncomfortable, so am I.
"You okay?" I ask him and I grab his hand and squeeze it.

"Yeah, these scenes do something to me." Carl laughs nervously.

"Carl?" I tell him.

Carl's focus turns to me and awaits my response.

"Is it awkward because you are thinking of something that you want?"

"Kinda, I was going to ask you. If we could... You know." Carl looks down to my lips and back to my eyes.

"If we could have sex? I don't ..."
I don't have a reason to be excused he apologized for hurting me.

"Yes." I move to straddle him.