My December

( Alexis )

Today was Christmas Eve and we waited patiently for my sister to get out of the shower. My mother knocked on the frale door repeatedly, hoping my sister hadn't finished the hot water. The lack of hot water, I suppose.

I woke a bit late today, waking up to my brother and mother rushing out the door. "We'll be back before nighttime, Alex. We need to go work.", my brother rushed, fixing his short sleeved shirt. We never got snow.

"But it's Christmas Eve, Alan. Don't you have the day off?", I asked. "Mr. Green didn't allow it. We work today.", mum stressed out. "Are we having dinner?", Annika asked. "Not today, dear.", mum said, frowning. "We'll be back!", my mother called, rushing out the door quickly.

"I need to leave too, Alex.", Annika said, pulling her torn up shoes on. "Where are you going?", I asked. "The mailman asked me to hand out some newspapers. He will pay me and that's all that matters.", she said, rushing out the door too.

I was left alone in the house, preparing to clean again. I went outside to fetch some water, seeing the sun shine brightly above me. It was warm for winter days, but I didn't complain. As I went back to the lonely house, I wish I didn't feel like there was something I missed.

I dipped my hands in the freezing cold water, making sure to clean everything thoroughly. I rushed outside to the neighbour's house, asking them if they needed me to clean anything. "Oh, but it's Christmas Eve, Alex. Don't you need to be with your family?", Mrs. Ann asked me softly. "They're working for a better Christmas next year.", I said happily, longing the feeling of my family to be home on Christmas Eve.

When I finished in the kitchen, I went to the living room and cleaned there too. As I did, Mrs. Ann's grandaughter came to me with her phone. I wondered if I studied hard enough, I would have one in the future. I highly doubted I would go to college, though. Mum can't pay for that even if she worked all day in Mr. Green's store.

When I finally finished, Mrs. Ann gave me a twenty dollar bill. I shook my head and handed it back, saying it was too many money for something like cleaning. "Have it, Alex. It's my present to you.", she said happily.

I went and cleaned Mrs. Walter's kitchen too and Mr. Harry's garage. They pages me too with money I didn't deserve but they still handed it over. I ended up having seventy dollars and I couldn't have been more greatful.

As I walked home happily, I looked at the trees around me. Some had brown and red leaves but many were still green. I wonder what it's like to have snow covered trees and homes.

I came home late at night since Mrs. Ann and the others live far away. It was dark, but I didn't care. The house was still in the dark so I lit a candle up to see, not wanting to waste any light. Mum doesn't like paying the light bill because it's always too high.

There was no one home as always, so I imagined as I cleaned even more my family here with me. All of them were working and I was sure Alan and mum would take more. Mr. Green likes to take advantage of them.

When everyone came back, we sat on the wooden floor as it creaked and pulled out all the money we had. Mum cried a bit, seeing I made moneyt even though I stayed home. Alan was disappointed since Mr. Green always cuts their money off, however, mum was happy for the money none the less.

"This is all the money we'll put in the jar.", mum said. She gathered very cent and dollar bill are had, putting it in the jar. We didn't have more than five hundred dollars, however, mum said it was for a better Christmas.

"You always say that.", Annika groaned. "Annika.", Alan said sternly. "It's true! I want something. We never get anything.", my sister mumbled. "Some day, we'll buy you something and someday we'll have a Christmas like everyone else. But for now, this is our December, our Christmas.", I said.

^

( This is my December. )

- Ashton