29. Snapped

29. SNAPPED

Friday Night

0 Hours Before The Charity Event

While Jeremy Pine got patched up at St. Mary's Hospital, Aiden and Cassie, after giving lengthy statements to the police, were currently sitting in silence inside the empty hallway of the Bradford City Police Department. They were anxiously waiting for Julian to come and pick them up, being that Clarissa had hijacked Aiden's car.

It's been almost two hours since the run in with Clarissa went down and the cops have yet to hear anything about Aiden's Ferrari or her current whereabouts. Aiden and the cops could only assume that she'd already dumped and destroyed the car. Aiden's chances of getting his car back in one piece were slim to none but that was no big deal to him either way, it's not like he didn't have the money to purchase ten more.

All that he wanted was for the crazy bitch to be found and arrested.

And now that the cops finally know the whole story regarding him and Clarissa Bollinger – starting from the very first letter she had sent – Aiden hoped that the police would be able to do what he has failed to do thus far and actually catch the deranged psychopath.

"Please tell me that you aren't still considering going to that Charity Event," Cassie said as she leaned over to look at the time on Aiden's cell phone.

"No one knows what happened tonight but us," Aiden's voice was barely above a whisper. His mind was in a hundred places and Cassie could tell from the distant, distracted look on his tired face. "I'm expected to show up to the event, but I won't make you come with me, not after what we've been through. If I don't show my face, though, questions will be raised, and I don't have the energy in me right now to think up a creative lie. Besides, my mom—"

"Yeah, I know." Cassie sighed, staring off into space. "Well, I've stuck by your side this far, I guess I can put up with you for a couple more hours." She looked over at Aiden and smiled. "If you don't want people to question you tonight, you better start looking like you hadn't just confronted your gun-toting homeless stalker."

Aiden chuckled softly. "I'd have a comeback for your smart mouth if my brain weren't complete mush right now."

Having to go through all that they went through tonight, Aiden had no clue on how he would've handled things had he been on his own. And even though she had been put in harm's way solely because of him – something that he loathed himself for – Aiden was glad that Cassie had been by his side.

"On a serious note, I know words don't mean shit these days and only actions do, but I just want to say that I'm sorry for everything that's happened tonight, Cassie. I'm so, so sorry for ever getting you involved in my life like this," Aiden said.

Cassie waved him off. "You didn't force me to go with you to Jeremy's house, Aiden. You didn't make me get in the car with you. I did that shit on my own. You have absolutely nothing to apologize to me for." Aiden wanted to say more but he refrained. And Cassie, being the erratic but sympathetic type of person that she is, grabbed Aiden by the hand and said in a soft tone, "Try not to beat yourself up over what happened tonight. The important thing that you should be focused on is that Jeremy isn't dead and that you and I are still alive. As for Clarissa...she'll eventually get what's coming to her. My biggest concern right now is how we're going to face Julian. He's going to be infuriated when he gets here."