Nicknames

Princess Sofia loved being silly, and sometimes she and her older brother and sister, James and Amber, loved giving each other silly nicknames. Sofia knew that her best friend, Prince Hugo, is often referred to as "Baby Bro" by his older brother, Axel—she knew it was a common habit a lot of older siblings had. Hugo didn't mind Axel's nickname for him, but he knew that sometimes nicknames can hurt people's feelings.

Sofia, James, and Hugo had just finished their riding at Royal Prep.

"That was fun," Sofia said.

"Yeah, did you have fun, Hugo?" James asked.

"Yeah, I guess so," Hugo said flatly.

Hugo had been feeling a little down today during flying derby practice, and Sofia and James didn't know why.

"Are you okay, Hugo?" asked Sofia. "You've been looking a little down during practice."

Axel came up and said, "Oh, my poor baby bro has been having a bit of a bad day." He patted his little brother on the head and gave him a big squeeze.

"Why?" James asked.

"I'd rather not talk about it," Hugo said sadly.

Sofia felt bad for Hugo, and she wished she knew what was bothering him.

"Feeling a little better, baby bro?" Axel asked.

"Yeah," Hugo said with a smile.

Sofia and James wished they knew what was wrong with Hugo, but they were pretty happy to know that he was feeling a little better.

When Sofia and James were riding home in their flying coach, James asked, "I wonder why Axel calls Hugo his 'baby bro'—doesn't it ever bug Hugo?"

"I'm pretty sure it's just a common habit every big brother or sister has, James," Sofia said. "We've heard Aunt Tilly call Dad her baby brother."

"Oh, yeah," said James. "You know, maybe we should give each other fun nicknames."

"That sounds like a fun idea, James," Sofia said. She wondered what nicknames her friends would have.

At Enchancia Castle, James and Sofia told Amber and her two best friends, Princesses Hildegard and Clio, that they could all have great nicknames of their very own.

"That sounds like a great idea, but what nicknames should we have?" Hildegard asked.

"Well, I guess we'll just have to find out," Sofia said. "But the nicknames should describe us very well."

Nobody knew what nicknames to have, so they decided to let them come to them.