Chapter 4

I wake up and take a quick shower. I brush out my hair and put it in a side pony. I get dressed and fasten my locket around my neck. I walk downstairs and take my 4 younger siblings who can be chosen with me to the heart of 13 where the CCs are held every year. My parents take the others. We check on by getting our blood taken like always. I walk to the 16 year olds section and wait for our Capitol escort to come onstage looking freakish as usual. After about half an hour she walks out. 

"Welcome District 13! Who is excited for the 99th Hunger Games Choosing Ceremony?" She yells into the microphones. A deafening roar rises up from the crowd. "Good, now let's play those 2 rebel videos" she says. They play the video from the first Treaty of Treason and then the 2nd. "Now we can start! Ladies first!" she exclaims. Her heals click as she reaches into the giant glass bowl. She pulls out a slip of paper and clicks back to the microphone. Please don't be me, please don't be me. I don't want to be chosen because people can volunteer. "Klara Jacobs" she says. Now I have a choice: watch Klara die, or volunteer. Easy. 

"I volunteer as tribute!" I yell. I run up the stairs. "And what would your name be?" she asks. 

"Gem..." I say, deciding whether to say my last name or not. "Gem Stone. And if you laugh, I know how to kill with a hairpin." I say in a menacing tone. She looks terrified.

"A-and now for the boys!" she says recovering. She reaches in and pulls a slip and clicks back to the microphone. "Garret Bryet" she says. A small 12 year old walks forward. 

A hand goes up, "I volunteer as tribute!" a voice yells. The boy walks forward. He had to volunteer! He runs forward. "And what would your name be young man?" the woman asks him. 

"Jack Clant" he says confidently. 

"Well there you have it! The first 2 tributes from District 13!" she yells. Peacekeepers usher us into the Justice Building while the other 2 are chosen. My family comes to say goodbye. 

"Go win Gem!" Ashton says. 

"We are so proud of you!" my parents say. This goes on for half an hour. Then the Peacekeepers usher my family out of the room. The Capitol escort comes to get me and she leads me to the Tribute Train. Well at least I know the name of the boy that I saved.