Chapter 16

I'm walking with my tributes and I tell Katie to wait in a tree while Cameron and I go tribute hunting. Once I feel we are a safe distance away, I pull out a knife. "Hey by the way I killed Jack." I say as I hurl the knife at him. I scream as the cannon sounds. I run back to the tree Katie was waiting in. 

"Hey Gem. Where's Cameron?" she asks. 

"The Careers showed up again. I ran but Cameron didn't make it." I say tearing up. Then I take out my knife. 

"Whatcha doin?" Katie asks. 

"The same thing I did to Cameron." I say slyly. 

"I thought you said the Careers killed him." she said terrified.

 "Yeah. I lied." I say as I throw the knife. The cannon sounds. I laugh. Jeez...people are stupid. I walk around. I hear a twig snap. 

"Gem...please don't kill me." I hear a plead behind me. I turn slowly. It's the boy from 1. 

"Why aren't you with the Careers?" I ask rudely. "Because, I am not going to be stupid. I overheard everyone plotting to kill me next." He says. 

"What's your name and how many Careers are left?" I ask still pointing an arrow towards his heart. "My name is Tristan and only the tributes from 2 and the 2 girls from my district. They killed the other boy first." he says. 

"I wouldn't join me then. I just finished off the last of the tributes from my district." I say not lowering my weapon. "But 1 district can win." Tristan says confused. 

"I know they are lying. They would never be that nice." I say lying.

 "Wow. I guess you are right. Now I'm very glad I left." Tristan says. "Why haven't you killed me yet?" Tristan asks confused.

 "I don't know. I like talking to you." I say confusing myself. I lower my weapon. "Can you climb trees?" I ask. 

"Fairly well. Why?" Tristan says. 

"Follow me." I say as I start climbing. Once I get to a good branch I stop and wait. Tristan catches up as a parachute flows down. I open it and read the note.

What are you doing?! Kill him. He is from 1. He's playing you. He will kill you and we need you to lead the...you know. KILL HIM! Clare

I look up and shake my head. I stuff the note in my bag as Tristan hauls himself up. "So how did you get all the weapons?" Tristan asks. 

"I have really good sponsors." I say calmly. He nods. 

"So what's up with you? You act all rude and mean but I don't think you were always like this." Tristan says. 

"That's a long story." I say sadly. 

"We are in the Hunger Games. I got time." he replied laughing. I nod and remember the day.