48: I Did Not Need to Know That

I stiffened as my eyes met his. "Uh, hi P-Patrick," I stuttered, visibly nervous.

"Heeyyy!" He said. He was obviously drunk. He leaned in to kiss me.

I panicked and moved away. No matter how much I was still in love with him, I couldn't do that to him when he was drunk. "What are you doing?"

"What, a guy can't kiss his girlfriend?"

My heart broke at his words. I felt even worse about what I was about to say. "We're not dating," I managed to get out quietly.

"Oh," he furrowed his eyebrows.

I wanted to cry. He looked so hurt right now, I can't believe I had to say that to him. I felt terrible; he looked like a puppy that had just gotten kicked, making me even more guilty.

I didn't know what else to say. Luckily, a drunk Andrew Shaw saved us both.

"I have a joke," he stumbled over to the both of us with a beer in his hand. I raised my eyebrows.

"Why did Adele cross the road?" Shaw yelled in our faces.

"I dunno," I mumbled. A smile crept onto my face.

He spread his arms out. "To say 'Hello from the other side!'" He sang.

I couldn't help but laugh at him and his antics. Patrick was rolling on the floor in hysterics, an effect from the alcohol. I smiled a genuine smile because Pat was finally happy, and forgetting about me for a few seconds at least.

"I'm going to find Natalie, see ya Shawzy." I took that as my chance to leave.

I found her in the corner talking to Jonny. They were laughing and he had an arm around her waist. My heart was stabbed with jealousy. I wish Patrick and I could be like that. Jon and Natalie almost never fought, whereas Patrick and I had only dated for four months before breaking up.

"Hey," I walked up to them. "Nat, I think I'm gonna head out. I'll see you back at the apartment."

She shot me a concerned look. "You okay?"

I faked a smile. "Yeah," I lied. "I'm fine."

I took a cab back to my apartment and changed into pajamas. I grabbed a fuzzy blanket and laid on the couch watching movies for the rest of the night.

---

November passed, and before I knew it, it was Thanksgiving. I had made plans to go home to my parents' house with Natalie for the holiday.

"Natalie, hurry up! You only have to pack clothes for one night," I yelled as I checked the time on my phone. We were running twenty minutes late. Hopefully my mom wouldn't mind.

She stumbled into the living room area where I was standing. "Calm down, I'm ready," she huffed.

We drove for a little over an hour before arriving at my parents' house. I knocked on the front door and my mom opened it. "Delilah, Natalie! So good to see you again," she gushed and pulled us both in for a hug.

"You too, Mom," I responded, stepping inside.

I met up with Jared and Lily. Taylor, Jared's girlfriend, was here as well. I thought I noticed something different about Taylor...

"Oh my god!" Lily practically screamed. She grabbed Taylor's left hand. "You guys are getting married!"

I took a closer look and noticed the diamond ring on her left ring finger. "Taylor! That's so beautiful, congratulations," Natalie exclaimed.