Chapter 30: Call Me

While Raven was out training the members of the 4 Elite, Beast Boy found himself not doing much. Of course he was trying to avoid her today after his run-in with Jamison, but he at least wanted to be able to secretly gaze at her pale and neutral countenance, which he thought, oddly, to be charming.  

     As he sat in the darkness of his temporary living space, which was lovely and bright when he had first encountered it, he sat hunched over playing video games. He wasn't focusing as well as he usually was, shown by his mediocre score. 

     "I need to get out of here," he grumbled to himself, discontented with his current state of mindless gaming. The soft blue glow of the television slowly faded as he ended his gaming session. He turned on the light and sauntered lazily towards the light switch and padded it down with his hand. His emerald eyes squinted at the sudden return of light. Beast Boy slipped on a pair of worn jeans and a long sleeved grey hoodie. He was pleased enough with his outfit, though it didn't quite matter because he had no one to impress. 

     Beast Boy peaked out of the door  to make sure the hallway was empty. If anyone had seen him wearing his casual attire they would know he was going out. When Beast Boy remembered how large of a facility it was, he was content with his odds. The hero successfully made it down the hall with most of the rooms and tried to keep the noise he created to a minimum as he walked down the metal stairs. He now arrived in the empty living area. All he had to do was get across to the door. Once he was within feet of the door, he put his hood up which covered his short green tresses that sprouted wildly from his head. 

"Where are you going friend Beast Boy?"

Beast Boy tensed up and stopped in his tracks at the greeting of that familiar dialect.

"Just, out," he said unavailingly, as Starfire persisted. She reached out and put a hand on his shoulder. 

"Beast Boy, you have been acting the strangely this day. Why is this so?"

"It's nothing, Star. Don't worry about it," he insisted as he emotionlessly removed her caring hand. 

"Raven has been doing the worrying about you," Starfire added, hoping that it might open him up in some way. He clenched his teeth at her name.

"Well tell her that she doesn't have to worry either," he said then made his final move out of the door, leaving Starfire confused and even more concerned than before.

     The science facility run by Dr. Larraby sat between the city and the forest. It was about a mile away from a small city called Haddam and two miles away from the Lake Wenatchee Forest. As Beast Boy rode his moped down the private road, he thought about whether he should go to the city or the forest. He turned left to Haddam, because he unconsciously decided that he wanted to be alone, but not alone, and he also had forgotten to bring food, even though he knew he would be staying out for a long time. Beast approached the quiet city where small amounts of people were out walking. He sped by a bakery, a daycare, a vitamin shop, and a tux rental place. He spotted an open piece of parking space next to a small cafe and decided to stop there. A bell attached to the glass door jingled as he entered. The cafe wasn't too busy, but not totally desolate. A happy couple sat and held hands across the table, the first man with spiky brown hair and glasses and the one sitting across from him had jet black hair and dark skin. 2 women sat alone at tables on the other side of the cafe. Beast Boy quietly slid into a booth, as there was a small chalkboard sign in the front that said "Seat yourself," with a smiley face. A woman who was arranged pastries at the register noticed him and came over with a menu and utensils. She had brown hair tied up into a ponytail, bright blue eyes, and a small nose. 

"Hello my name is Bri and I'll be your waitress today. Would you like anything to drink while you look at your menu?" she said enthusiastically. 

"I'll have a water, thanks," Beast Boy said then began to look at his menu that consisted of about 15 options in total. He searched the page for something vegan. 

     As he looked at his possibilities he felt a pair of eyes on him. Bri stood at the counter pouring water from a pitcher, and occasionally glancing at him. As he looked up to see if his  peripheral vision was fooling him or not, she looked back down at the glass. He focused back on his menu and she walked over. 

"Here's your drink," she said and took a straw out of her apron and placed it on the table in front of him. She hesitated for a second, but then said what was on her mind. "Are you one of the hero people that the science facility is working with, by any chance?" Beast Boy nodded.

"Wow, that's really cool," she said. "Are you ready to order?" Bri asked and took her notepad out.

"I'll just have a salad," he said and gave over the menu.

     Beast Boy finished his meal and paid the bill. Bri came back with the receipt with a small blush growing on her cheeks. 

"See you soon, hopefully," she said then went back to the register, glancing at him occasionally. He looked down at the receipt to see that she had written a number on it. "Call me <3," it said, with the number following. Beast Boy looked up to her at the register and nodded politely, holding the receipt as he exited the cafe. He stared at the number as he walked down the street. 

"Am I supposed to have a normal girl, not a sorceress? I could if I wanted to. The proof's right here," he said to himself as he analyzed the number. "What am I thinking? I don't want someone normal or whatever Jamison says! I want my Raven," he said with sudden realization as he stuffed the number carelessly into his pocket. Although no argument was ever spoken, it was time to make amends. 

**Cameo character Bri Fury created by bbraeforlifee