xvii. seventeen

"Hey..."

"Finn, please tell me you're alright."

"..."

"Finn?"

"My little brother got into a car accident two days ago. He didn't... he didn't make it."

"I'm so sorry..."

"He's seventeen--He was seventeen."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Maybe you could take my mind off things?"

"I'm talking from experience here when I say, you can't keep on distracting yourself from your pain. You're going to have to confront it eventually. I think you should do it now, if your lucky it could go away. Let it all out."

"He was so young."

"Anything else?"

"It was my fault. I hate that it happened to him. It was my fault. It should have happened to me."

"Maybe I'm selfish for saying this, but thank God it didn't happen to you."

"But it was my fault."

"Why would it be your fault?"

"He was driving to my house and--and that's when he died! He died..."

"Finn, it was far from your fault. If anything, I'm sure he passed away with the happy thought of you. It was nobody's fault."

"I need to break something right now."

"Then break something. It takes some time, but you will come out stronger in the end. Every time you fall and every time you get back up, you insure that the next time you fall, you don't hurt yourself as much because you're not falling from as high."

"I'm going to break the coffee table."

"Let all your anger out, but don't break your phone, that's our only way of communicating."

"I'll be careful."

"Let it out, Finn."

"Urgh! I hate that it was him. My little brother... my little brother. I'll never see him again. I'll never watch TV with him. I'll never drive him to his hockey games again. I'll never buy him ice cream again. I'll never be with him again... My brother was my best friend. Sure, we fought sometimes and sure, he was annoying, but at the end of the day he was always there for me. Always there to agree with me and always there to build hopes and dreams with me. It's kind of like a part of my heart just--just tear off and now I feel empty. I'm not complete and there's something missing. I never thought that something missing would be my best friend... My brother..."

"Cry it out if you need to. There's no shame in that."

"Autumn, are you crying too?"

"..."

"Autumn?"

"Sorry, I nodded."

"...pfft haha."

"Hey, you just laughed, haha!"

"You too."

"Yes. You see, we're already making progress."

"I still miss him."

"Is missing someone a bad thing?"

"I don't know."

"It gives you hope that you'll see them again someday, that someday everything will be better. You need to hold on to that hope. Everything will be better soon. I promise."

"How can you promise that?"

"I just know. Life isn't evil. You learn from your bad experiences and that's how you form good ones."

"This is one of the darkest times of my life. I will have horrible memories of these past few days, but am I crazy for saying that I'm going to have some good memories of this particular moment?"

"No. You're not crazy at all."

"Thank you, Autumn. I'm sorry for being such a mess right now. This has come to a shock to me and I was definitely not prepared for it."

"Don't worry, you'll be back to your annoying self in no time."

"Yes, soon. Oh and one more thing."

"Yes?"

"If you have any family members nearby. Please go give them a hug. Please just go spend time with them. For me."

"Yes, I'll go after this call."

"No, do it right now."

"Okay. Finn, do you need anything?"

"Just time."

*call ended*

☎☏☎☏☎☏☎☏

I'm sorry about this chapter guys! I know it was a little sad, but some happier ones are coming :)