Chapter Seven.

“So how do you plan a wedding?” Zayn looked at me while holding one of the invitations in his hand. They were white with the information printed in silver, they had holes punched for us to add ribbon but we hadn’t chosen colors yet.

“You know Zayn, I’m not sure, I’m just kind of winging it,” We both looked at each other and I leaned down to lay my head on the counter of my kitchen before I fell on the ground from laughing so hard. The sad part was I was telling the truth, I had no idea what I was doing.

“What’s this for?” Zayn stepped off his stool after we were done dying of laughter and walked over to the box of ribbons sitting on my kitchen table. I set the invitation I was holding down before following him over and looking at the box.

“It’s for the invitations, but I don’t know what colors we’re using for our wedding, so I don’t know what color to put in,” I pulled out a pink roll of ribbon setting it on the table before grabbing a yellow one and following the steps until all of the ribbon was out on the table.

“What color does James want?” I knew from looking at Zayn’s face he really didn’t care to talk about James. Which I didn’t really blame him, James had left me in a mess yesterday and Zayn had to clean up his mess. I just shrugged my shoulders and picked up a baby blue ribbon roll.

“Well I think you should use this, because I know you love this color.” Zayn handed me a mint green roll of ribbon. I grabbed it from his hands and looked up at him. His eyes were begging me to go with my heart, or go with him. I wasn’t really clear on what he was begging for, but I knew he was begging.

“Thanks Zayn,” I said quietly while turning around and grabbing a stool. I drug the stool into the kitchen completely on the other side from Zayn and split the invitations in half sliding have over to him and leaving the other for myself.

“It’s just ribbon, no biggie,” Zayn smirked picking up his first invitation. I watched him measure out a perfect amount of ribbon before he pulled one side through the other on the back side of the invitation and tying it at the front.

“Not just the ribbon, for everything you’ve done for me in the past week. It’s been crazy and you’ve kind of just dealt with me.” I smiled shyly looking down and working on my first invitation. Zayn sighed making me look back up at him. His brown eyes were sincere which never failed to send chills thrashing up my spine.

“I never have to DEAL with you Erin, it’s always a pleasure to be around you. I’ve enjoyed spending time with you, it’s been a great experience.” I knew that my cheeks were probably red as a tomato, but I couldn’t help it. It wasn’t often that I got a compliment like that. Sure I got compliment all the time, but nothing could compare to a Zayn compliment, they were special. He had his own way of doing things, and I liked that about him.

“So what’s next, I mean, after we get these done.” Zayn cleared his throat coming back from the silence. He had been acting different today for some reason. It was like he regretted telling me nice things, and he wasn’t kissing me. I knew that the sneaking around wouldn’t last long, but I missed his lips. After nine years without them I didn’t want them to disappear so easily again.

“I have to send these out, get fitted for a dress, get the flowers and music, throw a shower, order the food, hire a photographer, and I really need to get to writing my vows, I don’t know why in the world James wanted us to say our own, but we are so I need to write them,” I sighed setting yet another invitation to the side. It was actually quite easy to do this, but there was a lot of invitations, so Zayn and I would be here all night, why would I do this when I could have had a planner do it?

“I can help you with all of that, except the vows, I think you should write those yourself, you’re the one-” Zayn paused and locked eyes with me. I watched him swallow hard and blink quick before answering, “in love with him.” It looked like Zayn was in pain while saying the words.

“As long as you come to wedding,” This shocked both of us. I covered my mouth with my hands and looked at Zayn whose face was hurt. Had I just asked my first love to come to my wedding? Zayn looked away from me before standing up.

“I think, I think I need to get home. Bye Erin. Call me if you need my help, okay?” Zayn grabbed his jacket from the back of his stool and slid his done invitations into a box then the undone ones towards me. I couldn’t find the words to speak to him. What had I just done?

“I’m so sorry.” I started to stand up but Zayn interrupted me.

“It’s really fine Erin, I’ll just see you later okay?” I saw the tears in Zayn’s eyes but I couldn’t address them because I knew that would embarrass him. So I just nodded my head and let my shaky hands tie another ribbon while Zayn walked away once again.

Two weeks Later.

“Honey?!” I sat up in bed at the sound of the voice. I heard the front door close and then looked at the calendar next to my bed. Today James was coming home. Obviously Erin, he’s down stairs.

“Erin sweetie?!” I hear James’ feet stepping up the stairs. Then I looked down. Zayn’s sleeping body was next to mine in bed. His shirt off with his mouth slightly open, I gasped at the realization. I jumped out of bed and ran over to the bedroom door flinging it open and slamming it shut behind me.

“James!” I ran over to him and jumped into his embrace. He laughed and almost fell backwards. When my body loosened around him he kissed me hard on my lips. This was a different James then the one that left me two weeks ago.

“Honey I need to put my bags in the bedroom okay?” James seemed weirded out by the fact I wasn’t completely letting go of him. I hesitated to answer.

Last night was totally innocent. Zayn and I had been working on the wedding all day and it was so late when we were done putting together a play list for the reception that I told him to just stay the night. We still hadn’t kissed since the day we visited Matt, so there’s proof that absolutely nothing happened.

“No! I mean, come on let’s go get something to eat.” I jumped up and down holding onto James’ hand. He looked at me strangely before pulling his hand away from mine.

“We can, after I put my bags in the bedroom.” James shook his head and started to walk toward the bedroom. I didn’t know what to do, so I just watched in horror as he walked in almost slug motion to the door. His hand hit the golden colored doorknob twisting it in suspense. I felt my heart drop to my stomach and a sense of relief come over me, Zayn was gone.