Fourteen: Quattordici [re-written 28/03/21]

Lilianna was met with a sense of déjà vu at the sight of Giovanni - dressed to perfection in another one of his navy, tailored suits - strolling into the kitchen at seven in the morning. Her gaze only met his for a second before focussing on the spotless marble worktop. The heat seeping into Liliana's palms through the porcelain mug of scalding coffee was nothing compared to Giovanni's burning gaze set intently on her.

She knew she must look like shit. Liliana had a fretful night of sleep, tossing and turning in the large bed, and she would be a liar if she said it had nothing to do with Marcello. Her nocturnal habits clearly showed just how much her marital conflicts were affecting her, and she wasn't naive enough to think Giovanni wouldn't already know what had happened between then.

"Another quick coffee with a shot of more irritating news for me this morning?" Lilliana muttered under her breath, thinking back to the first time in the kitchen when he had told her of her new babysitter. Look how well that had turned out.

Giovanni's deep chuckle filled the room. She kept her eyes down as he dropped some things onto the counter beside her and went to fix his morning coffee. Liliana froze as she eyed his things; his mobile, wallet, and a gun.

"Do you even know how to use it?"

Liliana's head snapped up, finding Giovanni stood over her with a raised brow and a faint smirk. At her silence he nodded down to the gun.

Liliana felt herself bristling. She was Valentino Fiorenza's granddaughter, and he was asking her if she knew how to use a gun?

"My aunt taught me."

His eyes widened barely, the only indication of his surprise before he took a seat opposite her, coffee in hand.

"You don't usually stay in here on a morning," Liliana said, eyes narrowed. She took a large gulp of her coffee, wincing at the bitter taste. Usually, she drank tea, but this morning she needed something with a little more kick. "This really must be some irritating news you have to tell me.

"Irritating for me," Giovanni uttered dryly.

Liliana took a sip far too quickly and through a fit of coughing, choked out, "And just what is that supposed to mean?" Her face felt hot and her eyes watered.

"Marcello has assigned me to babysit you for the day," Giovanni said, blatantly displeased at the notion of spending time with her.

Liliana wasn't at all surprised that Marcello took it upon himself to separate her from Angelo. Instead of being angry, she was relieved. At least now she didn't have to actively avoid the youngest D'Onofrio brother.

"Ah, the joy of spending the entire day trapped within this mind numbing house," Liliana breathed, a fake grin stretched tightly across her face. Giovanni glowered at her.

"Thankfully," he said, "You've been granted access outside. Marcello has put up a team he deems... qualified enough to escort you around." Liliana froze with her mug half way between the table and her mouth, staring up at her brother-in-law with disbelieving eyes.

This was not the kind of punishment she had been expecting. This wasn't a punishment at all. Did this mean he believed nothing had happened between Angelo and her?

Whatever it was that had urged Marcello to see sense, Liliana didn't care. All that mattered was she could finally have some ounce of freedom. Even if she had to be guarded the entire time. She was already used to body guards and used to the possibility of danger, but she had never had to alter her life because of it until her return to America. This sliver of normalcy was gladly accepted.