Twenty Three: Ventitre [edited 23/04/21]

As soon as Liliana awoke the next morning, she was quick to search out her cousin. Roderigo had been placed in a bedroom far away from the room she and Marcello shared - whether that was an intentional decision on Marcello's part, she wasn't sure. She had missed her family so much since her arrival in America, and the mounting loneliness had nearly grown too much for her to bear. 

It was only 7:00 am when she knocked heavily on the door, not waiting for a response before she barged inside. Thankfully, he was already up and dressed for the day - unlike Liliana who had only hastily thrown on an old sweatshirt and shorts. 

"Good morning, Liliana," Roderigo greeted with a raspy laugh, a small smile breaking out across his face. He didn't seem the slightest bit surprised to have her storming into his room at such a time. 

She didn't respond, lower lip wobbling as she threw herself at him, wrapping her arms around him tightly. The pungent scent of cigarettes burned at her nose but she could barely mind. He was really here, in her new home; finally someone she could truly confide in. If only the rest of her family could also be here; she missed her aunt, her grandfather, and her other cousins. 

"I've never had you hug me so enthusiastically before," Roderigo joked, hugging her back just as tight. That was all it took to finally coax her tears.  

She pulled back from the embrace quickly, wiping her eyes and laughing weakly. "Sorry, I didn't expect to be so emotional." 

"It's okay," Roderigo assured, his amusement fading. He frowned as fresh tears wet her cheeks. "I would have come sooner, but we were all told to give you time to settle." 

"I didn't want time to settle." Liliana wrapped her arms around herself, damp eyes narrowing. "I wanted my families support. I wanted to not be thrust so suddenly into this new life without warning."  

Roderigo expression turned grim, as he explained, "It was out of our hands." 

She sighed and nodded as if she understood, but she didn't, not really. If her cousins had truly wanted to see her, or talk to her, they could have. 

"What are you doing here in America?" Liliana asked, glancing anywhere but at him. His bed had been made, and his bed sat in it's centre; only a few items had been unpacked, a couple of shirts folded neatly and his guns. Liliana's lips thinned at the sight but she kept her comments to herself. It wasn't strange to see Roderigo with a weapon, but the sight of them had her feeling uneasy. She suddenly didn't feel so sure standing in this room with a man she wasn't all that close to.

"Work." Roderigo didn't elaborate, eyes tight. He rubbed the back of his neck, looking as if he were unsure of what to do or say next. 

"Rigo," she said, her voice growing firmer. "Why are you here?" 

"Sebastiano is returning today."

His answer seemed ambiguous enough, but when Roderigo glanced back at the guns on the bed, she would have had to be a fool not to understand. 

"You can't be serious," she breathed, aghast. She turned towards the door, wide eyed, as if expecting someone to come bursting through at any moment. What Roderigo was planning was so infinitely stupid, and she feared more than anything he would get himself killed as a result. In a hissed whisper, she said, "You are not going to kill Sebastiano." 

"I'm doing this for you Liliana. As long as he lives you're condemned to live under his command." His expression was arranged into something she could only describe as bleak determination. His mouth flattened, eyes hardened, and eyebrows furrowed deeply. Liliana felt her stomach tie itself into knots, as she stared disbelieving at her cousin.