Chapter Six

"Honey, it's been a month since he's went missing. Can you be honest with me and tell me that you believe that Frankie is alright?" Sandra's mum had been mourning since the call that the police had given her weeks ago. She may not be sure if her son is alive or not, but she hopes that he is. She's tried going on without him, but she just couldn't seem to grasp the idea of him not being in her life.

She still expected Frankie's voice to echo through the house as he returned from school. His mum was in desperate need to see that her son was alright. Sandra was starting to think that maybe her son would be dead by the time the police found him - if they ever found him, that is.

"I guess so." Kayla shrugged, not wanting to crush the older lady's hoped. "He's not stupid. He may not know how to defend himself very much, but I'm sure he'll be fine and home in a month if not longer." She smiled softly at Sandra, trying to give off the expression that she was positive about her answer. Kayla had continued to go to school and visit Frankie's mum after school on most weekdays.

His mum's face reminded the younger girl of her friend, which made the hole in her heart grow. Frankie had been Kayla's closest friend, and their group of friends weren't the same without him. They had all seen the missing signs hanging around; they all knew that the probability of Frankie getting kidnapped was great. The whole school knew about it in two weeks time and everybody was growing nervous.

[∆∆∆]

"You're growing up so fast." Mitch suddenly blurted out, sounding like a mother. "Say, when's your birthday?"

"February tenth." Frankie had gained a tad more confidence in himself since he had managed to knock Mitch out - but he was by no means sure that he could do that again. Even though Frankie felt some kind of pride knowing that he had managed to defend himself, he was horrified when the memory brought a smile to his face.

"Oh." The hooded man said thoughtfully, scratching at the back of his head. "It'll be here in no time, I'm sure of it." Frankie had guessed that the older man didn't know the current month, for it was mid April. His birthday wasn't coming about anytime soon since it had passed just two months ago. But the brown eyed seventeen year old nodded nonetheless, deciding that he didn't want to talk to Mitch. He didn't care if Mitch would find him disrespectful for not answering him properly, or looking at him as he was talking. Frankie felt that Mitch couldn't actually do any harm to him.

Every time he beat on the younger boy, he would never take it to the point where he could've possibly died. Frankie had took heed to this, making a new sense of courage and calmness settle over the once frightened boy. He wasn't concerned that he should be feeling frightened, because he constantly told himself that it was better to be calm than be frightened. He could make better decisions when he was calm, and would often react on impulse when frightened.

And so he stared calmly at his padded white ceiling, not caring that Mitch was once again talking to him.

[¶]