3: Caring shows signs of weakness.

We ended up chatting about normal topics. Some things that were going on in the world and all. Nothing too in detail before we moved on. After we ran out of topics in world news, we just switched to the whole "I don't know what to talk about so let's ask how you're doing" idea. It took a minute or two before Frank actually asked the three words, but I didn't mind the silence. In full honestly, I liked just being able to sit there and create ripples in the pond's shallow water. Frank sat, his fingers pulling at blades of grass until he gathered up the vocals to speak again. I get it, it was one of those awkward moments when you want to keep the conversation going, but you don't know what to say kind of times.

"So, how are you?" Frank asked me, his shoulders rising as if he wasn't sure if he should ask that.

"Fine," I stated blankly, "How are you, though?"

"I don't know, to be fully honest. But," Frank responded, his eyes falling back to the grass, "You don't want to hear about my problems."

"C'mon, Frankie, can I call you Frankie?" I stopped myself, remembering it's actually polite to ask if you can call someone a nickname. When Frank nodded, I continued, "You can talk. That's what you brought me here for, right?"

He sighed, making me turn around so I could fully pay attention to him. I still didn't know why I was feeling like I had to listen to him because, Frank was right, I didn't care. But, I did. This is just getting more and more confusing the more that I think about it. I mean, really. Since when did I actually care about someone else's feelings? Especially the new kid's? Still, I found myself waiting patiently for Frank to vent to me about how he's feeling and why.

"I guess it's just a lot of stress, ya know? New school, I don't know anybody, and it's just a lot to take in. You're the person who I talk to the most at the moment, and it's kinda embarrassing that the principal has to baby me," Frank sounded generally upset, and I wanted to comfort him but I didn't know how. I've never done this kind of thing before, not even with Toro or Bryar. Frank continued, his tone becoming quiet and shy, "I want to go home. My old home. New Jersey has all my friends and memories."

That hurt me a little bit. Excuse me. I'm here. And I'm a pretty good person. Well, for the most part. I didn't take it to the heart though. I could understand him, everything's new. He has nobody to rely on and I can believe it, I wouldn't want to be that kid who's best friends with the school authority. So, I just decided to nod and be that person that Frank could lean on. I decided right there that my job was to be Frank's friend. Don't ask me why, but I felt like I needed to be.

Instead of invading the guy's space, I tapped his shoulder. Frank smiled softly at me, his lips curling into a soft smile and he pulled his sweater over his hands, his fingers curling around the soft material. I stood back up then, brushing the grass off of myself before turning to Frank once more.

"Let me know if you need any help, okay?" I told him, more commanding than asking. I cared about the guy, even if it seemed unbelievable. There were a lot of people I cared about, usually I didn't develop a bond this fast though. Not after 24 hours.

I walked home soon after, once I made sure Frank promised me that he would come to me. I spent the whole night thinking about it, too. Poor guy. I wondered what I could do for him, there's not much. Maybe help him with the school work? Or the friendship part? Well, that's already been cleared, I guess. I don't think he's totally sure I'm his friend yet, though. That's something I'll be thinking about. He already follows me around everywhere. I could just talk to him more. Yea, that's a good idea. I dozed off not long after, my thoughts still on Frank.

When I woke up the next morning, everything felt a little more rushed. I hurried with my breakfast, hurried packing my bag. Dressing wasn't that hard for me, as I already had my clothes all set out. I sprinted out the door, a wave to my mom before gesturing for Mikey to hurry up. My feet padded against the sidewalk a little harder, only stopping when I saw Frank walking across the street. I waved, shouting his name a few times before I saw his hazel eyes looking over at me.