16: Anywhere But Here.

I followed Mikey down a long corridor and into the elevator, the lady stopping once we were fit inside of the elevator's small amount of space. She spoke into her radio, the static piercing my ears for a mere moment before it ceased. She flashed a smile our way, and Mikey and I returned it meekly.

"Alright, just go to floor 4, and Matt will be there to guide you from there. See you soon, Gerard!" I winced at her use of my name, not even knowing her name. It unnerved me, the fact that she was already on a first name basis with me before even telling me her name.

The elevator shut quickly, however, sending my brother and I on our way. The large metal box swung upwards, sending my stomach flopping as my hands latched onto each other as I let the suitcase I had been dragging rest. It wasn't for long, though, and the box came to a stop. The metal doors slid open reasonably quickly, and Mikey followed me out. A man was sitting on a chair by the elevator, a smile appearing on his face as he paid attention to us. He was wearing a name tag, the name reading "Matt." Mikey nudged my arm, but Matt was already ahead of him.

"So, you're the new patient, huh?"

I nodded, remaining silent.

"Well, let's get you settled in," he said through his smile, then motioning down the hall, "Afterwards, we're going to have the nurses take a look at you to make sure you're healthy. Give you vaccines and the normal jazz," Matt continued, ending with a wave of his hands. I, on the other hand, was mentally bolting out of the building. Vaccines meant needles. Needles meant death. And I may be depressed, but I don't want to die now. Especially not by needles.

We continued down the hall, this one shorter but my room was still at the very end of the hall. The hallway itself was well lit, and there was a window attached to the center of the back hall. It was right in front of my door, and providing the main source of light in the otherwise dimly lit hallway. The window provided a great view of the city of Los Angeles, and I found myself watching as the cars and people walked by.

The door to the room was a nice and rustic brown, and the walls matched. Once inside the room, a twin bed was placed in the center of the room, a small table lamp on the right side of it. It was placed on top of a wooden nightstand, and the bright light gave a comfortable feeling. A dresser was backed against the wall, empty and uncovered at the time, small swirls floating across the surface of each drawer of the dresser. It was more of a light wood, still matching with the rest of the room. On the total opposite of the room, yet another window rested there, but it was much smaller with shades. A desk lay on the side, and matched the entirety of the small bedroom. It held a space for me to place books of any sorts, which is what made me figure that they would be checking the room regularly.

Turning to Matt, I spoke for the first real time since we'd landed in L.A, "Do you guys have a printer?"

"Uhm, I think. It's in the back, what do you need?" He answered, having to take a moment beforehand to think about it before responding.

"I have a picture I want to put up, but I didn't have the chance to print it out before we got here."

"Well," he grinned once again, but it was more of the smile growing wider, "Of course! Your brother can help you unpack while I print it out."

"Thanks, Matt. Here's the photo," I handed him my phone, and he took it with utmost care, "Would I be able to skype someone later, by any chance?"

"Yea, we have a limited amount of time set out just for phone and video privileges," Matt nodded, never once removing his smile from his face. He turned and left the room after that, and I turned around to find Mikey with a few of the bags already spread out. He shrugged, and we laughed for a quick moment before I began to help him unpack my things.