0.2

Three days earlier

Jack

"Are you sure you want to go? By yourself?" My mom ask me over the phone. "Mom I'm almost 20 years old, I'll be fine. " I reply, although I love my mom, she can be overbearing.

"I'm sorry Jack, it's just that whenever you travel you have Jack and some type of security with you." She sighs, worry clear in her voice. "I'm a big kid, mom." I laugh, trying to ease her mind. "I know, I know. I love you, Jack. I'll talk to you later. " She laughs. " I love you too, mom. See ya." I reply.

As I carry the last few bags down to my car, Jack comes out from the kitchen, "Well I'll see you in a few weeks, fucker." He smiles at me, coming in for a hug. "Hey don't get all sappy." I say with a laugh. "I'll see you guys soon." I smile at my best friend. As I head out the door and to my car, I can't help but feel that something is going to happen on this trip.

Today

I get off at the exit headed towards Chicago. I always loved going here during tours so I decided, why not come while on break? I can fully enjoy the sites and the life here now. I can see the Willis (Sears) Tower and surrounding buildings as I get closer the city. As soon as I get onto Lake Shore Dr. I am hit with traffic, I don't mind though, it's the same way in LA. I take this as a quick Snapchat opportunity. I snap a quick picture of the skyscrapers and use one of the my Chicago filters that are available. I lock my phone again and drive foward, getting off at the nearest exit. I head towards Omni, the hotel Jack and I stayed at last time we were here. I find a spot in in the parkin garage and get out. I grab my bags and head towards the entrance of the hotel. I am immediately greeted by friendly doormen. I give them a wave and go to the front desk. "Hello! How can I help you?" The cheery women behind the counter ask me. "I have a room rented, should be under Jack Johnson?" I ask more then state. "Um," She says, typing something into the computer, "Oh! Right here, Jack Johnson. Here are your keys have a good stay at Omni Chicago! " She says with a warm smile. I take the key and head up to the floor. I find my room and immediately go to the bedroom. I don't bother to unpack my things since I only plan on staying a few nights. As I sit on the bed and try to decide what I should do first, my stomach growls, dinner it is then. I take my car keys and go to leave the room. As I go back down to to the lobby, I see this girl with this light brown hair that had what seemed to be a million curls. She sat on one of the lobby chairs asleep, or on the verge of sleep at least. The lady that was behind the counter comes up to her. "Excuse me? You can't sleep here, you need to leave." She says with a much more rude tone than she had earlier. The girl slowly opens her eyes and gives the lady a confused look. "You can't sleep here." She says again. "Can't you let me stay another 20 minutes? I'll leave I just need to rest." The girl begs. I leave before they can realize I am listening in on the conversation. I decide that I don't want to eat out and instead get Chipotle to bring back the room. When I get back, the lady and the girl are still arguing. "You can't stay here if you aren't going to pay!" The lady yells. "I'm sorry! I have nowhere else to go. " The girl says, her voice cracking. I don't know why but I got a sudden pang of guilt. The girl had nowhere else to go, why wouldn't she just let her stay in in the lobby for a few minutes? On impulse, I walk over to the girl crying girl and the screaming women and say "Hey you made it! " to to the girl. Her and the lady both give me confused look. "You know her?" The lady ask in disbelief. "Yeah this is my....cousin! Yes, cousin. " I reply "Isn't that right....cuz. " I reply with with a forced smile, hoping the girl will get the hint. Her eyes suddenly filled with realization and she says "Oh yeah this is my cousin! That's why I was in the lobby, I was waiting for him come get me." She replies with a forced laugh. I put my hand on her shoulder and I can feel her tense. The lady gives us a suspicious look. "Okay then, I'm sorry ma'am." She says turning to the girl. "Oh, um, that's okay." The girl stutters. "Okay, well we should probably head back to the room now." I say to the girl. I wave the the lady who is now behind the counter and head towards the elevator.

_________________________________________ Before you all ask, I live in Illinois so I've been to Chicago plenty if times in my life so I know what I'm talking about lol. I added a picture of the Omni hotel up above. If you want to see more picture you can just search 'Omni hotel Chicago' on Google lol.

Sierra ♡