When You Feel Sad...

August 19, 1940

Dear Caleb,

    I hope this letter gets to you safe and sound and that it actually finds you...

    It feels as if it were just yesterday that you kissed me for the first time and now you're off preparing for a war against Mr. Hitler. How are you doing? Are you in any danger where you are? When is your first mission? Are you even having enough rest? I'm sorry for throwing you all these questions. I just want to know how you're fairing; I just want to assure myself that you're still with me. I don't know how I'll live my life if you'll never come back to me. No. I'm so sorry. I can't think like that; I won't think that way. You'll come home after the war. I just know it! I can't wait for you to come home, so I pray for the war to end soon. It's been a while since I've seen your handsome face. I know you just left, but, because of the state of our lives right now, mere days are like years to me. An exageration it seems, but that is how I honestly feel.

    I can't stop thinking the night when you told me that you were going away to prepare for the war. That was one of the darkest nights I've slept. Please come home soon. I really miss you, Caleb.

All my love,       

Haley Wilson       

P.S. I've enclosed a photograph of myself in this letter to remind you about me, not that you will forget about me. I just thought that it'll do you good to see a familiar face.