Good for the Skin

To wake up to a bright sunny day would be normal for others, but in Snow Peak, it was a miracle.

When I woke up on Sunday, two days after my date with Erik and still high on the joy of it, I was convinced the world was looking my way.

At least I thought it was until I got a call from my mother.

"Sage? Sage, are you there?" My mother's wiry voice broke through the receiver.

"Yes mom, I'm here," I told her.

Without a hello or how are you, she asked, "Are you moved in yet? In Sleet Top?"

"Snow Peak, Mom. And yes, I am. Got the last of the boxes out two weeks ago," I told her as I stepped out of my house, bag in tow.

"How is it nice there? Are there many churches?" She asked, hearing the jingle of keys in the background.

"It's cold and quiet, a lot different from home," I told her. "And there are a few different churches here."

"Are you heading there now? Its Sunday, Sage," She told me.

"Yes mom, I am," I lied, my plan of going to the market still fresh in my mind.

"How is the church there? Is the preacher good?" She asked.

"Yes mom, he is. And the church is very large. Has a nice choir as well," I told her.

"They don't allow homosexuals there, do they?" Mom asked.

"Why did you call, Mom?" I asked, her question quickly making me upset.

"I just wanted to see when you'll be visiting me," She said. A split second later, I heard her slam on her horn and yell, "Come on, some of us have church!"

"Mom, I've only been here for not even a few months. I won't be able to visit for a while, not until get a few days off from work," I told her.

I hear her tires screech, and a blare of horns follow. "Work? You already have a job?"

"Yes mom," I said. "I work at this little retail store that pays well."

"Retail? What about the baking degree you have? Why aren't you doing anything with that? Don't tell me you're not going to do anything with that degree. I didn't pay for you to go to college just to do nothing with it. Do you know how many kids waste their college degree? A lot! Michael Jones down the street just moved back in with his parents. You-"

"Bye Mom!" I said, cutting off her rants.

The receiver was silent for a second before Mom said, "Okay, honey. I'll call you later. I love you."

"Yeah, yeah, iloveyoutoo," I quickly said before I swiped the end call button.

I sigh as I slip my phone back into my pocket, the pressure in my frontal lobe easing away.

"Was that your mother?"

I jumped and squeaked, turning to a grinning Erik.

The words in my head got stuck in my throat as his eyes caught mine. The coldness in the air seemed to disappear as I feel my face heat up. My heart began to pound and a storm let loose in my stomach.

I silently prayed that I wouldn't forever react like this when Erik appeared.

"Did I scare you?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No, I mean yeah, I mean,uh..." My mind wouldn't form any correct sentences, making me stutter through my words.

He didn't question my stuttering, but I can tell by the glint in his eyes that he noticed. "It's great to see you again," He said, his voice warm.