Chapter 6: The Talk

Edited By: RAWRAKIS

Chapter 6: The Talk

So here I was, sitting across from Chance, without a word to say. I really don’t want him to know about our daughter or the fact that he was there the night I went into labor. No, those were secrets that I was going to keep from myself and if for some odd reason he found out about them then I'll have to talk to him about it, but right now wasn't the time.

No. All I could think about was my father and how I had also kept this secret from him right before he died. He never got a chance to see Ayanna or even hold her. I never gave him a chance to be a grandfather like I’m sure he would have wanted to be. No, I was being selfish and ran away. I know I was doing that now, with Chance, but I didn't want him to play with my daughter's feelings like he did to all those other girls back in high school. 

“Are you going to eat or just keep picking at your food?” I hear his voice speak though the random thoughts I was lost in. No. I just sighed and picked up a piece of lettuce and ate it, hoping he wouldn't say anything else.

“Milly, please look at me.” I guess my wish wasn't answered as I heard him plead for me to look at him. I still haven’t had the nerve to look into his green eyes since we sat down. I know that the moment I do, he was going to ask questions, questions I wasn't willing to answer because I didn't know what lie I would use on him at the moment. I took in a deep breath and looked into his green eyes. The moment I did, I could see all the questions he was going to ask me. But he didn't ask, no, he just gave me that little smirk of his. “Now that's not so bad.” 

Yes it is, I thought. All I gave him was a small frown and went back to eating my salad. God I hate salad. Why did I order this shit? So I went back to picking at it.

“Well, if you’re not going to eat, we might as well talk.” He replied, which made me stab a tomato, making it fling off my plate at him. “Hey, there's no reason to start a food fight. I just want to know where you've been all this time and how you're holding up.”

This made me look up at him. How do I lie to him, but still keep it as close to the truth as possible? “How am I holding up? How do you think I’m holding up? My father died. I was the last person to see him alive. How the hell do you think I’m holding up? No one else got to say goodbye to him besides me.” I yelled at him; to think it was best to stay away from the first question.

“Woah, there Milly, clam down. I understand that you're upset about your father, I was also, but it will get better after time passes.” He said leaning over to take my hand, but I flinched it away. “Please Milly, don’t push me away. I want to help you. I want to be there for you.”

“Stop, just stop!” I yelled getting a few people's attention. “I’m not your Lilly so, stop calling me Milly. As for your help and wanting to be there for me? I think that's bullshit. I don’t want it nor do I need it. I've done just fine in the past seven years. I have my life together the way I want it and there is no room for you in it.” I scoot my chair out and stood up “I’m only going to say this once, leave me alone, Chance. Goodbye.” With that I turned and walked out of the restaurant. 

I started walking in the way to my mother's house, when after a few blocks I felt someone grab my elbow and turn me around, only to see Chance standing there. “Do you really think you are going to get rid of me like that, Milly?”

If I was mad before, I was angry now. I guess this guy didn't get the idea that I wanted nothing to do with him. “Yes, I really did. I thought if I never answered any of your emails, that one day you'd finally give up on me, but no, you kept messaging me. Even telling you to your face that I want nothing to do with you, you keep pushing yourself on me. Why Chance? Why do you keep chasing after me? It doesn't make sense. You were the player back in high school; girls chased you, not the other way around.”