Chapter 11: To Dance with a Spirit

Rebecca thought about how she should tell Ty where they were going. He looked at her with an odd question in his face, and food stuffing his mouth. He looked so cute, and so dumb, like a puppy eating a bone for the first time. Rebecca smiled at him, but it caused question to spread over his face more and more.

"What?" he asked.

Rebecca giggled slightly.

"What is it?"

"You."

"What about me?"

"Do you even realize you do things like that?"

"Like what?"

"Really?" Rebecca gave a funny look of acceptance. "Nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Well, that's super annoying."

"What?"

"That."

"What!" Rebecca demanded.

Ty sighed. "Never mind. Don't worry about it."
Rebecca shot him a scolding look, but behind it a smiled started to crack.

"What's in the cookie?" Ty asked, looking at the tiny note that Rebecca had pulled out of his smashed fortune cookie.

Rebecca looked at it again, larger than a normal fortune cookie note, this one seemed specifically for the two. "The future is led by the past, go back one home and let the spirit help the past focus the future." She read out loud.

"The freak does that mean?"

"I think I get it," Rebecca said as she started toward the door. Ty grabbed her arm and pulled her back. "Come on, Ty, we don't have much time." She pulled away from him and continued out into the rain and to the truck. He followed after her, closing the door and sticking his finger on the lock again, twisting it until he heard the click. He smiled and ran after her.

The rain came down in a mist, like a blanket making Rebecca's wipers almost ineffective. Her tires splashed about the road, trying their hardest to pull away from the lane she was in, but she stayed her hands and drove the truck with conviction. Cool air seemed to wisp about the cab, despite the windows and doors being closed up.

"Where are we going?" Ty asked. Rebecca handed him the note and he looked at it. "I don't get it. What does it mean?"

"You don't see where they're pointing us to?" Rebecca asked. Ty just looked at her, so she continued. "Where were we before we went to the Chinese place? The future is led by the past. We need to retrace our steps so we can, go back one home, go to the haunted house. So we can find the spirit, the one that possessed you."

"Why would we do that?"

"Because," Rebecca looked at Ty, concerned. She knew what they needed to do, she just wasn't sure he would be ok with it. "Because, we are going to have it possess you again."

"What?" Ty shouted. "No way! Are you nuts?"

"Sometimes Ty, I think so. But think about it. You said that it took a really powerful person to open up your memories. I think you're that powerful."

'HA!" Ty said almost sarcastically.

"No really. If I'm the Phoenix, then that makes you the Gold Dragon. Which means living inside of you is a power that you can't imagine. And I believe, that in a situation like this, where you really need it, Long will show himself to you."

"So, you want me to possibly die, just so we can try this spell. I don't think you understand how much energy it takes to get this fixed. I told you it could kill someone," Ty said.