Chapter 13: The Girl in the Bottle

Rebecca followed Ty through the woods that surrounded her property, and she figured she wasn't more than a five minute jog from her house. But they weren't heading toward her house; instead they were heading toward the creek that sat at the bottom of the hill. Ty had mentioned something about how the goblins liked to make small homes in the uncut berry bushes that formed arounds creeks, streams and small ponds.

She was tired, and sore and unable to think too much, so she just followed Ty. He kept a steady pace, keeping her active and making sure they moved quickly, but he would slow every so often to give them a good break. Darcy would run up ahead, then watch them make their way to him. When they caught up, he would rub up on their legs and then continue forward.

"What a night," Rebecca said quietly.

"What, you're not used to this sort of thing?" Ty asked with a smile. She gave him a frown, unable to find a joking attitude. He saw her stress and lack of humor and gave an awkward smile, while hissing inward like he had been scratched. "Just keep moving, got it."

"Ty," Rebecca asked as they kept moving. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Well, I'm exhausted beyond belief and a little banged up from the, you know rolling a truck a few times back there, so I was wondering, what are we planning on doing when we find these goblins?"

"What do you mean? We are going to demand my sister back."

"And if they refuse?"

Ty was quiet for a moment.

"You plan on convincing them," Rebecca answered her own question. "Ok, that's understandable, but what if... what if we, you know, rested for a few hours. My house is just a few minutes away, we can sleep on the couch, rest, build our strength up."

Ty stopped and turned quickly to look down on Rebecca. "You can do whatever you like. I'm going to find my sister. Now." He turned back around and continued to walk quickly.

Rebecca gave a small huff of disapproval. "Hey, don't treat me like that!" she said following after him.

"Like what?" he said not slowing down.

"Like I'm just a tag along. Like I'm going to get in your way. Let's not forget who's the one that came out here in the first place and saved your butt."

Ty stopped again. "I haven't. I never will Rebecca. That means I don't need you to remind me. And I'm not going to give up on this."

"I'm not asking you to, I just..."

"You want me to lounge on a couch, while my sister, whom I cursed... Me... Is being held by a group of actual monsters."

"I know, Ty, I just, I'm just not sure it's the best idea to go in head strong right now."

"Of course it is not the 'best' idea, but it's the only one we got. And if you're so concerned, why you don't just go, why don't you just leave. You are close to home anyway."

Rebecca reeled for a second. She was hurt, like she was being thrown away. "So you're just done with me? You get saved a couple times, and then you just discard me like a used piece of gum?"

Ty stopped and looked at her. "No. That's not it."

"Then what is it, Ty? Why are you so suddenly treating me like this? I thought you... I thought..."

"Rebecca, please," Ty said walking over to her. "You know... you know how I feel. I just want to go save Dona. I feel so guilty, and I'm ashamed of the danger I have put you into, and I don't want to endanger you anymore."