CHAPTER 05: CRIME OF A SAINT

Disclaimer: The events written here happened after the reign of King George Alexander Louis Windsor (son of Prince William and Kate Middleton Duchess of Cambridge), the names and affairs of the Windsor Family in this story are all fictitious.

The Windsor Family in the present is the reigning British Royal Family, the third family to ascend the throne after The Tudor Line which ended with Queen Elizabeth I (daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn)

CADMUS

The air in the room was as heavy as my heart. The glass of whisky, cold in my hand, couldn't drown my worry like it did in the old days. The vintage gold liquor finally lost its magic.

I finally settled on my chair in front of the fireplace after hours of traversing restlessly on the carpeted floor had exhausted me. And as I was trying to subdue my thoughts, I felt someone looking at me at the back of my head.

She's here, again. I said to myself.

In seconds, I caught her familiar scent—a scent of vineyard and old spices— which was in my opinion, the greatest thing about her.

She stood there in front of me, in all her glory, wearing a red satin dress. Her hair, tied formally in a bun, was shining auburn and was held in its place by a golden crown. There was strictness in her features that could intimidate anyone but there was also a certain elegance to them that would make one stare. Truly, she was a sight to behold.

It's time. She mouthed the words.

And I knew what she meant. I stood up and went to my table and took out something from the first drawer on top.

She let out a laugh when she saw it. She was mocking me.

I threw her a sharp glare but that only made her laugh even harder.

"What could you possibly do to me Cadmus? You know you can't hurt me." Her voice was shrill and proud.

It was true. I couldn't, even if I wanted to.

"A noose, I see." She observed, "You wanted your people to remember how your tongue that was so expert with lying dangled about while coming out of breath? You wanted to be seen all purple and lifeless tied up like a common criminal in the gallows instead of dying peacefully on your bed? Oh, what a legacy my king, truly, what a legacy. Something your great grand children would talk about in your dinner table."

"Shut your mouth, woman." I said to her. "I've grown tired of all your complaints and useless blabbering."

"Oh have you? But I haven't abused you enough yet. Will you spare me a little more minutes of fun?" she teased.

I climbed up on a chair and tied the rope on the crystal chandelier. I had someone lowered it for me before hand, saying I wanted to inspect the crystals if they need some cleaning. And that very idea had this woman laughing all morning, incessantly ruining all my preparations for tonight.

She wanted me to use poison—her own personal concoction. She said it was more powerful and more regal, but I couldn't have the security doing any investigations after tonight. They just had to announce that I took my own life end of story. No conspiracy, nothing, just plain suicide.

"Could you hang yourself upside down? I mean is it possible?" she asked.

"Why would I hang myself upside down?"