Chapter Four

Picture of Hudson on the side ---------->                                             

                                             Chapter Four

  I sit in the passenger seat of Jamison's black Range Rover. I'm pretty sure that you can cut the awkwardness with a knife. Neither of us has said a word other than hello to each other all day. Why does he seem to be so social and outgoing with everybody except me?

We park in front of the store and get out still without a single word being said. This is going to be completely impossible to help with the wedding when Jamison is being such a stubborn asshole. Can't he loosen up just a bit?

   "All right. Let's just get what's on the list Meredith gave me. Okay?" I simply say to Jamison, looking him directly in his eyes. Damn. Why does he have to be so attractive? Those blue eyes practically sparkle even in this shitty store lighting.

   "That's what I was planning on doing," his tone is so rough that it scares me. He doesn't smile either. He just continues to look me in the eyes with that blank expression.

I smile at him and then go on my way. I look down at the list Meredith gave me and begin looking for the items. I feel like I've already purchased everything on this list already, but in all honestly, I have no idea what most of this stuff is and most of it looks the same anyways.

I scan all of the items with the special gun the store clerk gave me. This shopping trip has been surprisingly fun. I don't have to haul a ton of heavy items around. I just scan and move on to the next item.

All of sudden I feel a tap on my shoulder. The feeling is unlike anything I’ve ever felt before. I want it to last longer. It’s like a shot of warm electricity going down my arm. I turn around to see the handsome face that surprises me every single time I see it. Jamison. His face is still completely blank. No smile. Nothing. Just completely blank. "Are you ready or do you need a few more minutes?"

I nod. "I'm ready," I tell him, giving him a friendly smile. Gosh. Trying to lighten this guy up is way harder than I ever thought possible.

Jamison and I then make our way back to his car. We walk together in the most awkward of silences.

   "Are you hungry?" he shocks me by asking.

   "I actually am starving."

He actually smiles. "I know a place if you don't mind going to lunch with me," the way he asks this kind of hurts me. It's like he thinks I'm going to say no.

   "I would love to!" I say this too excitedly because deep down inside, I am.

***

   Together we sit across from each other in a bright red booth at an old-fashioned diner. The waitresses are all in cute white blouses with a bright pink poodle skirt and roller skates. A gorgeous brunette with the name Emily takes our order.

Her eyes are on Jamison the whole entire time. This surprisingly leaves me with an unsettling feeling deep inside my stomach. She skates away after we both give her our orders, leaving Jamison and I back to our usual silence.

   "I have to ask, why did you move to New York?"

Jamison looks at me with shock in his eyes. I guess he wasn't expecting me to ask him something. Or this is too personal of a question. Damn. I keep mucking everything up.

   "I'm sorry. You don't have--"

   "It's fine. I'll go with the simple answer: I wanted to get away and make something of myself," for the first time in years Jamison sounds happy.

   "I know exactly what you mean. I've always been the type of person who can't commit to something for very long. This is what has gotten me into a lot of hot water with family and friends. I guess I’m saying that I would like to be able to go after a dream and make it happen; make somebody proud for once."

Jamison takes a sip of his soda. Damn. Is there a single thing this guy can't do that isn't sexy? Quickly, I take a sip of my own soda in fear that Jamison can see the slight blush appearing on my cheeks.

   "As long as you're happy with your life I think that's all that matters," Jamison says in complete honesty.

He's right. That's why I continue to move around so often. Change. That's what I want and crave, but what if that's why I am so unhappy?

***

   Sitting alone in a completely empty apartment is as depressing as it sounds. After lunch Jamison dropped me off at my apartment. I am quite surprised we were able to have a civilized conversation instead of the normal awkward silence. And now here I am alone. Brooke and Meredith left about ten minutes ago.

Jamison's comment about happiness hasn't left my mind. I'm beginning to wonder if it really is true. What if I'm running away from everything because I'm scared and unhappy? That thought alone leaves me with a sick feeling in my stomach.

A hard knock on the door stops my mind from racing even more. A middle-aged man in a uniform stands in front of me holding a clipboard.

   "We're done putting everything into your U Haul miss."

I sign the clipboard and leave my apartment. Here goes my next adventure. This time I plan on staying even when times get tough. And maybe, just maybe, I'll find true happiness.

*Hello lovely fans,

I am so, so, so sorry with the delay in updates. This chapter isn't as amazing as I would honestly like it to be, but I am proud of what I wrote. It's better than I thought it would be. I've just been busy with birthday's and graduation. Writer's block has also has sucked big time. I'll try to update faster! Happy Fourth of July!

xoxo Krissy