Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

    I sit across from Brooke and Reid at a local cafe’ for a quick lunch. The two lovebirds aren’t as into public display of affection as Meredith and Hudson thankfully. All three of us have actually had some decent conversation, which is very, very rare whenever I am the third wheel with Meredith and Hudson.

    “I will be right back, ladies,” Reid says before kissing Brooke on the lips. The simple gesture makes me smile. It reminds me of the little, cute things that Jamison did when we were together.

But that was over a week ago. I haven’t heard from him since the night we had dinner at his place. At first I was anxiously waiting by my phone and watching the door at the pet store. Now I know that it wasn’t serious. He realized that I wasn’t his type.

It still doesn’t mean that it doesn’t hurt. Because it does. Like freaking hell.

    “You two are the epitome of cutest, happiest couple I know.”

Brooke smiles and giggles. I can see the love in her brown eyes. “Thank you, Lorelei. This is the best I’ve felt in a very long time.”

    “You’re welcome.”

I finish off my glass of water when my phone vibrates. All of the butterflies in my stomach begin to flutter at top speed and my hands instantly get sweaty. Yeah, I’m really irresistible. I look at the caller I.D. just to be disappointed yet again.

Instead of being upset, I’m surprised. The last time my parents called me was over six months ago. We’re not that close anymore. There was a time when we used to be, but that is in the past. It was so long ago that I can barely remember it.

I get up from my seat to answer the call. “Hello?” all of my anxiety rushes back into me fully.

    “Hello, Lorelei,” my mothers innocently sweet voice is smoother than fine chocolate. Beware though. She is everything, but sweet and innocent.

    “Hello mother. Wh--How are you?” Hopefully she didn’t notice my slip up. I’m just too used to her wanting something. She always has something negative to say about how I am living my life.

    “Your father and I have been very busy lately. You wouldn’t know that though because you’re never around to visit us.”

Oh, she’s back to being dramatic. “Well, I would come over more if you and dad weren’t so judgemental,” I tell her honestly.

    “Oh stop it, Lorelei. Your father and I just want you to do something with your life! You’re quite the disappointment. Do you know how my friends look at me, dear? They think I’m a joke because of the daughter I raised. I mean, couldn’t you have at least finished community college? My daughter works at a pet store! Do you have any idea how mortifying that is?”

I know I shouldn’t let the words get to me. But they do. The words hit deep inside of me. I should be used to hearing the negative comments, but every time it’s like a knife being pushed into my stomach. Deeper and deeper. Hell, that would feel better than hearing this. I already know that I am a disappointment. She doesn’t need to remind me.