Chapter 8

Chapter 8 - Saturday Surprises

A week had passed since Hermione had Nick had moved into the Manor. Hermione was well aware of the fact that she'd missed a whole week of work but frankly was not bothered in the slightest. She knew her boss would understand once she told him about moving and the time it took to "settle in". Malfoy, surprisingly, had been somewhat civil, except for that one incident. Hermione suspected it was mainly to keep her from running away.

Their life at the Manor so far had become more of a routine. It seemed that all they did was get up in the morning, eat, Draco would go to work, Nick would play in his room, Hermione would read a book or explore the Manor, and then Draco would come back home between five and six, they would all have dinner and go to sleep. This happened every single day and frankly Hermione was bored. She would return to work after the weekend, but she did not know what to do until then. She thought of visiting her friends, but that would mean explaining the situation she was in right now, and she wasn't ready to do that just yet. She loved Ron and Harry to bits, but at times they could be a little overdramatic.

The familiar ring of the bell that alerted them someone had apparated into the Manor told her that Draco was back from work. Hermione counted to twenty and as predicted there was a squeal of "Daddy! Your home!" and she knew Draco had reached Nick's bedroom. She counted to fifteen this time and just as she finished saying the 'teen' on that last number, Draco walked into their bedroom, supporting Nick with one arm as he hung from his neck and in the other hand holding a shiny black briefcase. Like said before, it was a complete routine.

"Hello Hermione." He greeted before setting his briefcase down and throwing Nick into the air and catching him with both hands.

"Hi." Hermione replied trying to ignore the way his well-defined biceps became evident through his expensive robes as he caught Nick.

"Daddy, Daddy, guess what. I put a castle in our city today, it looks just like Hogwarts." Said Nick, laughing as his father continued to bounce him in the air.

"Did you now, well I'll see it later when I read you your bedtime story."

"YAY!"

"So, what did you do today?" Asked Draco turning to look at her.

"Oh, nothing much, just read and colour-coded my wardrobe." She answered.

Draco looked at her as though she'd grown an extra head. "Why the hell did you colour-code your wardrobe?" He said, incredulously.

"Don't look at me like that, I was bored. I'm so glad I'll be going back to work on Monday."

At this, Draco almost dropped Nick and looked at her with, if possible, even more shock. "What do you mean? You can't work."

"What do you mean? I can't work?"

"Because Malfoy women do not work." He said simply.

"I am not a Malfoy woman, nor do I ever plan on being, so I will work if I want to."

"But you don't need to work. I make enough money for the both of us." Said Draco as though it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Just because I'm living with you, doesn't I'm going to start living off you. I will earn for myself thank you very much." Hermione almost yelled.

"But why? I don't care if you're living off of me. I'm willing to give you whatever you want as long as you and Nick live here. Why put in the extra effort when there's really no need of it?" He said it as more of a statement, but Hermione replied anyway.

"Let's just say that I like the satisfaction of knowing I actually earn for myself, that I'm not just a gold-digging..."

She didn't finish what she was going to say as she realised that Nick was still in the room.