Chapter 14

Chapter 14 - Walking through Sunsets

It was now around noon and Draco and Hermione had decided to get along for a short while and help Nick build a sandcastle. The child couldn't have been happier, after all it wasn't every day that his parents could stay in the same place for longer than five minutes without an argument firing up.

The sandcastle was one that no regular Muggle child could have ever succeeded in building. Hermione had used a simple sticking charm to ensure nothing collapsed because Nick had cried for ten minutes straight the first time it did. Their sandcastle was rather large and realistic, complete with seawater filled moat and several drawbridges leading into/out of it. A small town surrounded the castle, consisting of small houses and shops with a few horse carriages travelling on the makeshift roads. All in all, it was an excellent effort from the trio. At the moment, they were all playing pretend as Draco had charmed up people made from sand and Nick was ruling the town as though he were king.

Narcissa watched as her son and his newly found family laughed and joked. She knew that somehow, at some point in time, Draco would find happiness in Hermione, and they would be able to love each other immensely. It was all a matter of realising this potential that stopped the two. They never seemed to look past their differences, for if they did, they would come to realise that they are more alike that they liked to think. And though certain differences did exist, it was these that would make them stronger. Narcissa had already made it her personal mission to bring the two closer, and what better place to start than in this recent change of scenery. If it were up to her, they would not be able to keep their eyes off each other before long.

"Mummy, I'm hungry." Whined Nick, finally getting tired of their little game.

"Well then we should probably have lunch." Said Hermione. "What do you think Draco?"

Draco merely grunted in response. He too was drained; both due to the sun's heat and Nick making him carry buckets of water from the ocean, to do anything.

"Alright let's go tell Granma, and then we can find a place to eat." Hermione told Nick, brushing the sand off his shorts and picking him up. "Are you coming?" she asked Draco, who was still lying on his back next to the sand town.

"Yeah, I'll be right there." He replied.

Hermione rolled her eyes at his laziness but smiled, nevertheless. Who would have ever thought Draco Malfoy would willingly appear anything but cocky in a public place. She carried Nick over to where Narcissa lay sunbathing.

"Narcissa, we've decided that it's time for some lunch." She said quietly, so as to not startle the older woman.

Narcissa sat up and stretched, with the grace of a feline, and smiled up at her, her white teeth flashing in the sunlight. "Excellent," She said, "I wondered when the three of you would finally get hungry."

Hermione laughed before replying, "Well we were just going to go look for a place to eat-"

"There will be no need for that," Interrupted Narcissa. "we'll eat right here."

"Huh?" Hermione looked confused.

Without saying another word, Narcissa pulled her wand out of her beach bag and flicked it in a complicated way. Out of nowhere, a barbecue appeared in front of them, complete with a gas cylinder and several packets of uncooked meat, bread and a bowl of garden salad and one of potato salad.

"We are going to have a barbecue!" Exclaimed Narcissa, standing up and brushing herself off. She walked over to the barbecue and began inspecting the packets of sausages and steak.

"What's going on?" Came Draco's voice as he joined them.

"We're having a barbecue, apparently." Replied Hermione, looking a bit sceptical.