Glad i'm not a butterfly.

Starsearcher headed back to her shack, the one she shared with her family. Or at least, what's left of her family. Due to the harsh conditions of the volcano, most NightWings who lived there were raised with only a single family member, as not all dragons can raise a family in the stress of all the heat that resided inside the volcano.

Starsearcher liked to think of herself as lucky, because she had two surviving family members. Her mother; Moonshine, and her sister; Smallhorn. Sadly, her father died before she was born, so Starsearcher didn't get to know him, but according to Moonshine and Smallhorn, he was wonderful.

In the NightWing kingdom, no one needed to feel pity for any dragon, as they needed to worry about their own survival. Besides, almost every dragon loses a family member, so they were more or less used to it.

Starsearcher knew that sounded horrible, but it was what she was taught. And who could miss a dragon that they never knew?

Shaking off the thought of her past, Starsearcher stepped into her shack. It was frightfully warm, but the entire rainforest was frightfully warm, so Starsearcher had no right to complain.

The shack she shared was average-sized, and was constructed from a rather yellow-y jungle wood. Moonshine chose it as she thought it looked good in front of the backdrop of green jungle trees that surrounded the village. And matter-of-fact, it did look good, even Starsearcher could admit that.

Starsearcher looked around. "Hello?" She asked, "anyone home?" She added, walking through their kitchen. It consisted of a small table made from stone, a frozen-food container, a warm-food container, and a small hole in a piece of moderately big stone that was used for washing talons before and after earing food. The table had a certain 'cloth' on it that reminded Starsearcher of wing fabric.

"Star! You're back, it's nice to see the scroll-worm come home." Said a cheery voice from behind her. Starsearcher was too busy to notice the dragon sneak up on her as she was too busy feeling the substance of the table-cloth.

"Hello, Smallhorn." Starsearcher replied in her equivalent as a 'casual' tone.

"Why so serious?" Smallhorn tilted her head, then it shot back up instantly. "Oh, oh! Did you and Leaf do anything.. Interesting?" She stretched her neck and rested her head on Starsearcher's, her eyes playful. It was easy to do this, as Smallhorn was the older and taller sister.

"If by interesting, you mean, stare at pointless scrolls, then yes, it was quite interesting." Starsearcher replied, a thick coat of sarcasm lacing her tone. Smallhorn always made fun of Starsearcher and her bestie. ( :) )

"No luck with the scrolls then, I can assume," Smallhorn mused, half to herself, and half to Starsearcher. "Anyways, Moonshine's out currently. She's been chosen by queen Glory to deliver a message to the Sand kingdom about a new peace treaty these dragonets of destiny have created.

Starsearcher tilted her head up and looked at Smallhorn pointedly. "Peace treaty?" She asked her sister, knowing she would get a response. Smallhorn was always in touch with the latest news. And if she wasn't, Smallhorn would be bugging the nearest dragon about it.

"Yeah!" Smallhorn replied, excited to share the news. "You know the five dragonets of destiny?" -she didn't wait for a response- "well, they spent the last month developing a peace treaty. Something about all dragons being equal, no unnecessary fights, monthly meetings.." Smallhorn trailed off, listing possibly every symbol recorded on that treaty.

Starsearcher was brought back to the present as Smallhorn finished ranting about how they didn't include NightWings in the treaty, and just wrote 'RainWings and company'.

Now, Starsearcher would have cared, if she hadn't seen an interesting looking butterfly flutter into the shack. It was beatiful, its outstretched wings had amazing patterns on them. Starsearcher couldn't help but stare at them in awe.

Suddenly, her thoughts of admiration were changed with the coming of another mood. Instantly, Starsearcher's rage flared up at the poor insect. She was jealous of it's beautiful wings. She narrowed her eyes, talon ready to bring the butterfly down. Starsearcher raised her claw, locking the butterfly down with her eyes.

Three.

Two.

On-

"Starsearcher, ya' listening?" Smallhorn's voice snapped through the calm tranquility of her thoughts, and she gingerly brought down her talon and landed it on the smooth wooden floor.

"Something about NightWings" she mumbled, her attention on Smallhorn again.

"Yeah! Those blasted dragonets." Her sister nodded, puffing out her purple chest. "We deserve to be recognized!" She roared, probably attracting the attention of some random dragons moving by.

Starsearcher blinked at her sister, and decided she'd retire until dawn.

"I'm heading to my nest," she announced, walking in the direction of the nest-room she shared with Smallhorn. It was a nice room with multiple windows, and two nests on each side of the place. There were also two buckets, one on each side, both filled with borrowed scrolls from the library that the sisters used for reading material.

Starsearcher's was more empty, as she preferred reading at that library.

"Alright, i'm going hunting. I'll be back with some nice meat we can dig into."

"Don't catch any sloths, you'll get in trouble for.. What? The third time?

"Fourth!" Smallhorn called back, and with a wink, she walked out.

Starsearcher settled down in her nest, and closed her eyes. Please, don't let me have that dream again. Three moons. She thought to herself, as sleep overtook Starsearcher and she drifted in-between consciousness and unconsciousness. As her eyes finally closed, she saw the sun gradually go down in the sky.

~~~

Falling, i'm falling. The words repeated in Starsearcher's head.

Falling, i'm falling! Starsearcher opened her eyes. Darkness, darkness surrounding her.

Falling! Falling. Starsearcher heard a childish giggle.

Falling, i'm falling! Wings can't save me now! Starsearcher uncurled her wings.

Falling, i'm- stop! I am not falling. I am flying! Starsearcher let in a gulp of air. The voice was right, she was flying. Wings, beautiful wings... The flapped them once or twice, then stopped to glide. Starsearcher looked to the side, and gasped.

She had butterfly wings.

~~~

Starsearcher sucked in a shaky breath. She was back in her nest, and her wings were normal. Starsearcher sighed.

I'm glad i'm not a butterfly.

// welp, this chapter took a bit of time. -looks at watch- holy crab! It's twelve a.m! No wonder i'm so tired. Ehehe.. Welp, i'm going to sleep. I don't own Wings of Fire, but I do own the plot and characters.

<3

-platonically-

~Shiro

PS. Still on vacation lol. It's currently the twenty-ninth as I am writing this.