Chapter 24 - ***REVISED***

Fluttered shadows...regaining consciousness at nightfall. The only light in the room: the flames that flickered and wavered on the hearth, casting shadows upon the tapestries, rugs and furniture. She lay under a mass of blankets – and from the sensations of her skin, she knew that someone had both disrobed her and tended her wounds. Small bandages wrapped around her knuckles to the palms of her hands – she felt the same pressure on portions of her legs and arms.

A nearby window was open, allowing a breeze to come through, stirring the curtains, and mingling with the heat in the room. Breanne outstretched her fingers flat upon the bed, her arm slowly rising, stopping just beneath the pillow next to her, on Reese's side.

She stared at his spot; her lower lip trembled before she stilled it with her teeth, and closed her eyes, tears tracing unseen paths across her cheeks.

Not again.

How many times? How many times in a lifetime would she awaken in an empty bed with a hollow in the pillow beside her that would never be filled? How many times would she lose the man she...loved? And this time, she hadn't even realized it until it was too late.

A gentle tap on the door prompted her to swipe the tears away before calling out permission for entry, her hands resting upon the swell of her belly, an aching lump and a smothered sob...that her babe should be twice fatherless. Eyelids fell closed...she willed them open.

Alla entered the room, her gaze immediately falling to Breanne's faltering one. Her steps quickened, stopping only when she reached her. Gently, she laid her hand atop Breanne's.

"I wanted you to know that Magnus still hasn't awoken. But his breathing has become more steady, and the physician is hoping for the best, but no more can be done for him - we must wait. How are you feeling?"

Breanne stared at her a moment, then without a word, faintly shook her head. "I can't."

And Breanne hadn't a clue what she meant by that. She couldn't what? But she did not care that her words did not make sense, she only said what she felt.

Alla found a vacant space on the bed and sat, drawing Breanne's hand into her own, an action that prompted Breanne's eyes to tear up.

"Breanne," Alla carefully began, "there is something else I feel you must know."

Hope lit in Breanne, she levered herself up, wincing at the pain singing throughout her body from all parts. "Did he come out," she asked. The question, foolish as it was, barely escaped her lips, filled her brimming eyes. "Is he all right?"

Alla shook her head; tears fell from her own eyes as she watched Breanne's countenance fall in an instant, her expression full of helpless despair.

"What did you wish to tell me?"

Alla didn't meet her eyes as she responded. "Alva checked upon you again...there was some bleeding and—"

Breanne's eyes squeezed tightly, her hands balling into fists, her nails painfully digging into them. "I've lost it?"

"S-she believes that if the babe lives, during the birth, there may be some...problems." She hurried to add, "But, the fact that there was only little bleeding gives hope that—"

"When do we set off?" Breanne whispered, her voice wavering, all attention centered upon her lap.

When Alla finally responded, her words were carefully issued. "You do not wish to...to wait and—"