Chapter 25 - ***REVISED***

Breanne sat on the window seat within the darkness of her bedroom, her nightdress fanned out over the plush cushion, one of her legs tucked beneath her. She watched, with little emotion, people arriving for a party that Alla and Brandon were hosting.

Carriage upon carriage drove up the wide lane, releasing extravagantly dressed ladies and men in evening costume of the latest fashion. It was plain to see that not a soul arrived without venturing to acquire that second glance in the mirror. Breanne let her hand fall away from the heavy drapes, turning slightly, letting her gaze melt into the flames dancing upon the hearth.

It had been months since her world was once again shaken and then flipped upside down. In that time, she'd lost nearly everything that mattered – nearly. There were some things for which she had reason to be thankful. Good friends, for instance, were one. Had it not been for Alla and Brandon opening their home to her, she surely would have sunk deeper into that melancholy which, once again, engulfed her.

Her parents had called upon her nearly every day; and while their visits, especially those from her mother, were tiresome, there was a part of her that was grateful that they checked in upon her – despite her resistance to the idea of taking up residence in the Liverpool house. She hadn't been ready to move into the home she and Adam's had planned to share then...but more and more she was becoming accustomed to the idea. Breanne's mother had all but suggested she come back home. No doubt, pride was preventing her from forming the words: Breanne, we would like you to stay with us. But on countless occasions, the subject had both been broached and abandoned.

She was relieved they hadn't asked. Breanne simply wasn't in the right frame of mind to deliberate, to engage in a tug of words with them – when she was, in fact, an adult, a full grown woman, and now...

A mother.

Rising, she left the window seat and approached the bassinet, situated along the opposite side of the bed. Her eyes roved lovingly over the sleeping child nestled within it...all softness, with tiny, precious, tight curled fingers and toes. Though Brandon had offered, she'd refused a nursemaid. Breanne gently stroked her fingers across the baby's cheek.

Observing her own child made her wonder what Alla's would look like. Shortly after giving birth, when the two of them were alone, Alla had confessed that she suspected she was in a delicate condition. At the time, Breanne had wondered how long Alla was aware of the fact and why she hadn't been apprised earlier. Then she realized that Alla no doubt withheld the information, first, because of all of the chaos surrounding them, and later, because they were afraid for Breanne's child - for a time, doubtful whether either of them would survive.

A soft smile stretched across Breanne's lips as she viewed her babe...so close to Adam's likeness...thus far, having the same golden eye color and hair, yet, it was beginning to turn up, possibly a tell-tale sign that the baby would inherit Breanne's curls.

A twinge of guilt sprang into Breanne's heart. No doubt, Glenda would have loved to see her grandchild, Adam's baby. She'd been robbed once again... But would Glenda have truly wished to harbor the woman who suspected her other son of murder? Who'd viewed her entire family as suspects to the deed?

A hesitant, light tap on the door prompted Breanne to hasten toward it, lest the knocking grow louder. Her baby did not sleep lightly, but it was best not to take a chance on that fact.

She cracked the door open – her eyes slid downward, to a little girl with heavy blonde curls, her thumb jammed into her mouth. Out came the thumb and the tongue, starting in with softly lisping prattle. "William saided I couldna play with th' baby tomorrow 'cause I'm needed tae start learnin', and I told him that ye said I could and then he said I couldna," she whispered unevenly, her statement given in one breath.