Can't Help Falling In Love -- Emison

My mom pulled her car up to the school gates, just as everyone was going inside.

"Mom," I said. "You don't need to do this."

"It's for your safety, Alison," she replied, simply repeating what she had told me thousands of times.

"But it's embarrassing," I complained. "And besides, I can walk to school by myself."

"I'm just taking precautions. Come on, you're going to be late."

I opened the car door and got out, scooping my textbooks into my arms. Sighing, I quickly walked through the school doors and made my way to my first lesson.

--

After my first two tiring lessons, I sat down at a table for lunch. I knew the other girls felt wary around me, but we all sat at the same table despite that.

Aria was the first one to join me.

"Hey, Ali," she said, smiling.

"Hi, Aria," I replied. "Where are the others?"

"Spencer's studying for her next test, as usual," she said. "And Hanna's getting food."

"What about Em?" I asked.

"I think she has a swim meet," she mentioned. "So I guess she might be competing tonight?"

"Oh, great!" I said enthusiastically. "Are we going to see her?"

"I think so."

I nodded my head, and Hanna walked over.

"Hi, guys," she said.

"Are you going to Emily's competition later?" I asked.

"Her swim? I don't know if I can make it..."

"Come on, we should go! It'll make her happy," I insisted.

"I'll see." Hanna smiled, and so did Aria. I knew they were only speaking kindly because they thought I'd be annoyed with them if they said they couldn't go; I was always the first to propose the idea to see Emily swim. And anyway, I kind of owed it to her. I'd put her through years of emotional pain, so seeing her swim was just a small act in the apology that I had been trying to give for months now.

We were quiet for a few minutes, Hanna silently eating her lunch. Aria pulled out a couple of things to eat, and I just sat there on my phone. Lunch was boring without Emily; she was the only one I could talk to confidently. She seemed to understand everything that I told her, and even if she didn't she would just hug me and say she was there for me.

Just a few minutes before the bell rang for next lesson, Emily appeared in the doorway. I could feel my face instantly brighten up and so did hers as she speedily walked over to us.

"Hey, guys!" she exclaimed happily.

"Hi, Em!" Aria answered cheerfully.

"How was your swim meet?" I asked.

"It was great!" she beamed. "I'm competing tonight."

"We know," Hanna said. "But I'm not sure if I can make it."

Emily's smile dropped a bit.

"Hey," I said, putting my hand on her arm. "I'll come."

"Thanks, Ali." She smiled a bit more and hugged me. I tucked my nose into her neck and just hugged her like that for a moment. I could tell Emily didn't want to let go either.

"You alright there, Ali?" Aria said, laughing.

I pulled away, Emily still holding on slightly. "Yeah," I answered, chuckling nervously.