seventeen

Chapter Seventeen: I'm Going To Die, I Think

 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"Memories made in the coldest winter.

Goodbye my friend, will I ever love again?

Memories made in the coldest winter."

~Coldest Winter, Kanye West.

 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

"WHAT?" ANIKA ASKS me, completed surprised.

"Well, I thought a lot about it", I explain to her, ''You were totally right about the thing you said - knowing whether a person likes you back is possible only if you ask."

She nods, still not able to digest the fact that I've asked her something she didn't expect.

"I hadn't seen that coming", she mutters more to herself.

"To be honest", I confess with a shrug, "I didn't think I'd fall in love with him either."

"Yeah, but love is unplanned. You don't generally choose who you love", she says, swinging her backpack.

"Should I be surprised that Edward said the same thing the other day?" I ask her, walking with difficulty as my legs decide to dig themselves deeper into the ground with every step.

She laughs, shaking her head, looking at me. "Not really because he was the one who told me about it."

It's my turn to laugh at her. "So you just repeated his dialog?"

"Kinda."

"Copycat", I tease her, tickling just a little as she laughs harder.

I take a glance back at Edward once to find him walking alone with a confused look. I can't suppress my grin.

I lift my right leg that buries itself in a part of the snow and try to walk with lighter steps when I hear a sudden sound. I ignore it, rubbing my hands over my jacket as the temperature suddenly drops.

"It's so cold", I shiver, hugging my chest.

"Well honey", Anika says, "It's supposed to be cold." She starts to shiver just a little, and I let out a little laugh, shivering with her.

"You aren't upset, though, right?" I ask her, suddenly feeling guilty that I'm asking her to help me sort out problems with Edward when she had them for long.

"Why did you think I would be?"

"You guys dated for long and you know, I just figured you that you might-"

"Oh please", she brushes me off as we walk down the slope. "It isn't like I still love him or anything."

I crane my neck to look at her, wrapping my jacket closer to my body as I feel like I might freeze to death.