Chapter 9

When the sun begins to rise we decide to go back into the city; we don't want to get caught here after lights out. So we climb down the Metal Head and through the trap door, down the long staircase and past the many rows of tents. I hear a few people beginning to stir, but it's pretty quiet.

We go back into our tent and lay down. I manage to fall asleep, and we nap for about half an hour before a voice comes over the loud speaker again, telling everyone that it's time to wake up.

I have Neil close his eyes while I pull on a fresh pair of clothes, and then I do the same for him. Then I brush my hair into a ponytail and pull on some combat boots that Natalie brings for me. "You're gonna need these. Today you'll start your first day of training."

Once all of us are ready to go, we walk down the center of the city, passing the rows of tents and making our way through the area that seems more like a town. We pass street vendors, shops, people, tables and chairs everywhere, until eventually Natalie stops in front of a vendor selling what looks like a type of oatmeal. "I come here almost every morning for breakfast," Natalie tells us. "The oatmeal is filling and keeps you going all day. Plus it's tasty. There are all kinds of toppings and things you can put on it. I'll have to arrange to get you guys some Silvers," She said, holding up a small silver piece of plastic that looked like a credit card. "But I'll pay for now."

I order a bowl of oatmeal with raisins, chocolate chips, and some nuts in it. Natalie leads us to one of the metal work tables where we eat. "Training starts in half an hour; you guys are gonna need it if you want to survive here."

Just then Allon walks up to us. "Hello, there! Figured them new recruitments could'a used some o' them Silvers." He said, handing us each a card. "Fully charged, ready to go."

"Thanks!" Neil said.

We finish eating as Allon says, "Training's different every few days, the routine gets switched, and it's different for everybody, based on yer strengths. Today most people are doin' archery. Bow and arrow, pew!" He mimed letting an arrow fly. "Pew!"

"Cool." I say, as a voice comes over the speaker announcing that training time has begun. Allon leads the way to the back of this giant room. We walk for about fifteen minutes, at least a mile, before he stops at what looks like a horse ring. There's a wooden fence around a circle or dirt, and I half expected to see some riders come trotting out. The ring is large, bigger than a school gym. It could easily fit all of us.

Targets are set out on the fence, so that the circle is surrounded by them. Allon opens part of the fence, swinging a target aside, and leads us in. "Ya just pick a target, a bow, and a quiver of arrows, and get t'work! Instructors are all over the place, they can help ya." And with that he leaves, and chooses a target, bow, and quivers of arrows. He lets an arrow go with a, "Pew!" And strikes a bull's eye. He lets another arrow fly and splits the first one down the middle.

"Whoa." Neil says.

"Whoa." I agree. There are around 2,000 of us in the arena, and about 200 people are wearing orange shirts. They must be the instructors. Natalie picks a target, bow, and quiver of arrows, and starts shooting. She hits really close to the center on her first try, and gets a bull's eye on her second. "Should we get an instructor to help us?" I ask.

"Sure." Neil said, going up to one and explaining that we're new to Jupiter.

"Ah." The instructor said, "Let's get you fitted up with something your size." He leads us to a pile of bows, and picks out one for each of us. Mine is medium sized, wooden with little swirls and designs etched into it. It's lightweight, and the string is thick. "That should do it. And here are some arrows." He said, handing us each a quiver. "I'm Mark, by the way."

"I'm Cecily, and this is Neil." I said. "Nice to meet you!"

"So have either of you ever tried archery before?" I looked at Neil, he shook his head.

"Nope." I said.

"Well, I'm sure you'll be naturals." Mark told us, leading us to two targets. He seems really friendly; I like him. He's tall, blonde, extremely fit, maybe 18 or 19 (not much older than us), and seems to know a lot about archery. That's all I've gathered so far.

He proceeded to tell us how to stand, how to hold the bow and arrow, and how to shoot. He gave us wrist guards so we don't graze our arms. He then showed us how to have the correct stance and posture, and how to aim directly for the target. My first try landed in the dirt about ten feet from the bull's eye. Neil claps and says, "Nice."

"Like you could do better." Although, Neil being Neil, of course he could. He hit the target, barely, but his arrow didn't stick and fell down into the dirt. "Ha."

"Still better than you." He told me, sticking his tongue out.

Mark laughs, "Alright you two. Let's try it again." So we do. Over and over again. We shoot until my arms feel like they're gonna fall off and my back hurts from the holding the correct stance. But I surprise myself with how much fun I'm having. I actually really like Jupiter so far!

After shooting for a couple hours, I actually get the hang of it, an even land a bull's eye once. Then a voice comes on the loudspeaker announcing lunch time. "Good!" I said, "Cause' I'm starving." I hadn't realized how hungry I was, but I feel like I could eat about three meals worth.

Natalie rejoins us and the four of us walk out of the arena and about a mile back in the direction we came, until we come to a small shop. "This is my favorite place to get lunch." Natalie says.

"Mine too." Says Mark. We each get big sandwiches with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and turkey. Then I get a milkshake, Neil and Cecily get smoothies, and Mark gets a lemonade. It feels weird to be eating such normal, Earthly food on Jupiter, but I guess I'll get used to it.

We finish eating and then Natalie says, "Do you want to go outside? We're doing more training, this time shooting actual guns, and then a 'Health and Fitness' activity, which basically means working out. Could be anything, from yoga to mountain climbing."

"Sounds cool." Neil says. Mark goes back with the other instructors, and the three of us continue the walk. We go past the tents and some more shops, before reaching the stairs. We climb up and up, and then open the trap door.

I step outside and gasp.