November 15th 1971

November 15th, 1971

Dear diary,

Dad is in jail now. I looked all over but I can't find my mommy. I was sad because I always pictured her coming back home and giving me a big hug, saying that everything's alright and we can continue our lives. The cops took me to live with my grandma instead. I told the cops that they should let me live with my mommy.

I don't know why, but the cop man looked sad. He told me that mommy is gone but she'll always be in my heart.

I looked at him in disbelief, growing more upset. I told him that I saw my mom just the other day, that she's very much alive. He just had sadness in his eyes.

Grandma looked very sad all the time now. She hated my dad for what he's done, I think she will be upset for a very long time. I don't know if I'll ever see her smile again.

"That monster is finally away for good." I heard her saying to grandpa from the other room. I wasn't supposed to be listening to their conversation, but I can see how upset they are. It made me sad, too. If only Mommy would show herself to them, too, they wouldn't be sad. But she only comes around when I'm alone.

I've been sitting on my bed writing in my diary. I wonder when I'll see my Mom again. I hope soon.