Coffee & Distraction

"Please be safe, Hayley. Remember, don't be nervous." Mom said, throwing some soda can away.

I nodded, "I'll be safe. And no worries, I never get nervous." I winked at her.

She looked at me, shook her head, and smiled. "Good."

"I'm gonna go now, mom. I love you."

After she said I love you, I pulled my jacket closer to me and left.

--

It was sort of chilly this morning. Didn't surprise me though. Winter was approaching. I was growing used to the cold weather; well kind of.

The walk to my usual spot was quite a walk but I wasn't complaining. I actually enjoyed walking; I was able to clear my mind and sometimes listen to music.

While walking along the cracked sidewalk, I pulled out my phone and began searching through some songs.

Which one today?

I stopped abruptly to cover the screen with my hands. Gracious, the sun was extra bright this morning. As I scrolled, my eyes scanned the thousands of songs on my phone.

Bands such as Sleeping With Sirens, Skillet, Mariana's Trench, and Bring Me The Horizon kept appearing but I wasn't in the mood for those today.

Finally, after scrolling for a while I decided on a song I always resorted to. The song that usually caught people's attention.

Welcome to The Black Parade by MCR.

Smiling, happy with my decision, I put my phone away and got to walking again. My lip was quivering a bit. Damn, it was getting colder.

Up ahead, I noticed the usual store, WAWA, that sat on the exact corner I went to everyday. I should probably buy a hot drink, I thought.

I increased my speed and once I got closer, I crossed the busy road. Sometimes it was so difficult to cross this road; especially in the mornings. It was the most busiest road here. But, that's what made more sense in my case.

With my hands in my pockets, feeling around for my small wallet, I walked by the parked cars. Several people were smoking cigarettes by the entrance, staring. Typical.

Once I was inside, I took an immediate left. Even though I stayed by the corner outside almost all day, everyday, I still hated being the center of attention. Odd right? The thought of people watching me walk or grab things in stores gave me an eery feeling. I was weird.

I passed the chips and snacks, making my way to the back of the store where the coffee machines were. I wasn't the biggest fan of coffee but I needed something hot in my system.

The fact that I was pretty skinny, didn't help me. I got cold quickly. Even with a sweater and thick jacket on. Shaking my head, I grabbed one of the biggest coffee cups they had and began filling it with fresh hot coffee. As the cup filled, I couldn't help but to smell the wonderful smell. This coffee smelt amazing.

For once, I actually had high hopes this coffee would taste good. After fixing my coffee up with sweetener and coffee creamer, I secured the lid onto it.

Suddenly, I heard someone clear their throat behind me. Quickly, I glanced behind me and saw there were 3 people waiting. Whoops. Talk about embarrassing.

After grabbing a napkin and my coffee, I hurriedly walked up to the front counter. The cashier gave me a bright smile.

"Good morning, sweetie!" She said, cheerfully.

I returned the smile and said good morning. In a way, her cheerful mood annoyed me. Maybe it was because no person on planet earth was ever happy on a Monday morning. If anything, her happiness seemed fake.

While she rung up my coffee, I tucked a piece of my red hair behind my ear. Then, I quickly took my five dollar bill out of my wallet. She grasped the money and eventually gave me my change.

I grabbed my coffee, holding my wallet in my other hand and turned around, heading for the door.

"Have a good day!" She called out, from the counter.

Don't ignore her, I thought.

Trying to be nice, I glanced over my shoulder to give her a smile. I was certain she saw my smile but I didn't have time to find out. By this point, I had bumped into someone.

Coffee! Save the coffee!

I stumbled backwards a bit, hearing things drop to the floor. The person, a guy, in front of me glanced at me apologetically before reaching down. He looked awfully rushed. I bent down also, to grab my wallet, quickly.

We both straightened back up and he mumbled a "sorry". Then, as quickly as he appeared, he left the store.

People are so rude, I thought.

Still standing there, I made sure my coffee lid was still secure. It was. Thank the heavens. But just as I was about to put my wallet back into my pocket, I noticed something off.

The wallet in my hand was an army green. I furrowed my eyebrows. Oh gosh. This wasn't my wallet. It was his.

--

First chapter! Please vote and comment, telling me what you thought!  :)