Gag Me

Iris:

I waited for mom to come home after twerp was in bed, and that mistake of a man left my house.

Finally, she walks in the door. I sit at the kitchen table, my arms crossed, and my eyes narrowed at her.

"Hey honey, how did today go?" She pretends like everything is fine, and I let my mind do the talking.

"How did today go? Perfect! I mean, what girl doesn't dream of coming home to a complete stranger on her couch?! Mother! Could we not have talked about this first?! He's a complete waste!" I stand up now, and she sighs, sitting her purse down on the table.

"You're right, you're right. I'm sorry, we should've talked first. But it isn't the end of the world like you think, this will be good for Jake, having attention from another boy, and frankly I thought you guys would get along..." I don't believe her one bit.

"When's the last time I got along with anybody?!" I felt like crying, but I wouldn't, not in front of her. Not in front of anybody.

"I thought maybe you guys would become friends. Sure he's a little older, but I even thought that maybe...well...that you two might-" I hold a hand up, and laugh.

"Are you crazy?! Mother! I am not ever, ever, going to like him. Not even the tiniest bit! You know me and guys especially aren't even compatible in that way! How many times have you made dates for me that I cancelled? How many times do I have to explain to you that even the idea of getting married, and settling down, and raising a family is beyond out of the question! Seriously, I know it's your dream to see me married with kids someday, but it's not happening. It can't, I won't let it" Her eyes are sad like I've seen them many times before, and she grabs my arm, sitting me down.

"Gag me! Because if you even thought for a split second that me and that...that...guy, would ever even come cose to liking each other as friends, Jesus woman, you're wrong" She shakes her head, looking down, and sighs.

She looks back up at me, and there's worry in her eyes.

"Iris...would I be wrong if I thought that you were more attracted...um...to girls?" Jesus, my mother thinks I'm a lesbian.

I let my mouth gape open, and she puts her hand to her chest.

"Mother! I don not like girls! Ugh! I'm not a lesbian! I just don't..." This is where my anger dies down and I start getting insecure about myself. "What guy would like me? I'm a nobody, and I'm pretty sure since I turn down dates that everyone at school is just like you, they think I'm a lesbian"

Mom's face softens, and she gets up, coming around the table to hug me. I've never hugged my mom, and I'm not starting. I've never kissed anyone, not my mom even. I've been kissed by other people though, but never on the lips.

Why do I make people steer clear of me? In my mom's mind I'm doing something wrong by keeping people away. In her words she says I have a block of ice around my heart that needs a special guy to melt it. But in my mind, I'm doing exactly the right thing by keeping them away. I don't want people near me. I'm just not good with physical contact I suppose. And in my words, well I could just give a fuck less.

"Iris, please hug me" I don't. She pulls away.

"I don't hug" I say simply, her eyes getting soft again.

"Are you still mad at me?" I shake my head no, and she grabs my leg.

"Iris, please think about your future. I don't wanna live a life without knowing my grandchildren...give someone a chance once in a while" Okay, that makes me mad...again.