Chapter One

[GERTRUDE]

As the sun rose above the mountains, casting an eerie glow upon the world, neither of us wanted to go back. Today would be hard, without a doubt.

Elizabeth and I have known each other since Lower-levels class, though that's not to say we've been friends all this time. Not that we hated each other or anything, more like we didn't have anything in common.

Until the day we realised we felt the same way – about our faction, I mean. We're both Abnegation-born, living only a couple of stone houses apart. We all wear the same grey clothes and neat, tight buns. In fact, I barely know what I looked like, even when I do get my mirror time for the month, I barely look, each time seeing a stranger. I could tell you I have brown-auburn hair, just past my shoulders in a wavy form, that's about it.

Elizabeth knows that she wasn't made for Abnegation. She knows that she would transfer, most likely to either Candor or Dauntless. She's honest, but not overly so, and incredibly brave.

I know that Abnegation was my home, with my family and my friends. I admire the art of selflessness, the artwork of living for another—giving to the factionless, and ruling with fairness and equal rights, never for selfish gain. I love everything about my faction. Except I don't feel like Abnegation, I don't think I'm brave enough, disciplined enough to restrain my thoughts, my emotions, my opinions and beliefs, my curiosity.

That's why I envy the Candor. It doesn't matter what they think, whether it's outrageous or a little on the dumb side. They are respected and their every thought is treated likewise. They take into consideration every aspect of the truth and don't stop until they'd uncovered it.

Which is why I'm respective of the Dauntless, their fearlessness, their bravery and courage. It stands out against everything. It doesn't matter if it is completely crazy, any and all fear is pushed aside, and that is how they are set free.

Although I respect Erudite, for the knowledge and medicines they have produced over the years, I do not respect the people of that faction. They – and I suppose I am generalising – believe that everything they say was right, and it makes them egotistical and big-headed.

And the last faction that I shall ramble about are the Amity. I'm very mindful of them, they're always happy, and I'd love to be as carefree as they are, but mostly, they seem ignorant. They ignore all the horrible deeds happening around them and act as if they don't exist.

"Gertrude! Are you ready?" my mother called from inside. I climbed down the ledge from the roof into the small window of my room.

"Yes, mother," I called back, grabbing my pack and making my way downstairs to the kitchen to grab myself lunch.

"Here's your pouch, for after school." Mother smiled, handing me the simple bag with a long strap, with food for the factionless. We do it every day, without fail.

"Thank you, Mum." I smiled back.

"You're most welcome, now off to school, you don't want to be late." Mother smiled again, but this time it was...sad. I think she knows, that I'm not Abnegation material.

"Bye, Mum." I hugged her, ignoring all rules.

"I love you, never forget that. Now, today's a big day. Good luck, my baby girl."

"I love you too, Mum." I held back a tear that threatened to fall. I turned and walked to the bus station that was a fair way away from our little stone house.

The ride to school, was quiet and silent – on our part – but as we neared the other factions, the bus grew rowdy, loud and getting very full, as usual. When an elderly Erudite lady came on, looking for a seat, I took no hesitation in standing up, and offering my seat. The Erudite smiled politely at me and took the seat without question.

That's really the only problem I have with being Abnegation. I don't mind giving, I don't mind the thoughts that others have of us. But couldn't they at least say "thanks"? At least she was polite, unlike some people. I once moved aside to make room for a young boy in Candor colours, and he promptly raged on about how the Abnegation are submissive for a reason, that we're weak-willed, and on and on he went.

I did my damn best to ignore him, though it's actually really hard when you want nothing better than to collect his nose with your fist. But the Abnegation do not submit to the wants of body and mind, only the soul and for the souls of others. And in that situation, I couldn't and wouldn't result to anger and violence.

I would not embarrass my family and my faction. They're good people. They didn't deserve that.

All too soon, we arrived at school. I was dreading the test. Though they were never wrong, were they? So, I would just trust the test, besides, it didn't matter what the tests said, it didn't change anything. That was what our people always said, and when asked, that was how we always replied.

I didn't pay attention in any of my classes. I felt bad, mostly because I was stuck in my own thoughts. How very selfish of me. I mentally slapped myself. If this was my last day in Abnegation, I would make my people proud, not for myself, for my family and friends.

However, it didn't matter how much I did or didn't pay attention, we didn't learn anything, mostly "good luck" and "trust the test." Lunch quickly rolled around and I made my way to the lunch room. After waiting for all the other students to eat before us, we grabbed our basic lunches, not enough to fill our bellies, but just enough to sate hunger.

Elizabeth and I sat quietly after we finished. Every now and again, someone would ask how someone else was, if they were okay, the usual.

I looked up at her and saw an eagerness, I knew she wanted action, to act out, to live and be free. I want that too, but I'm also hesitant to leave my beloved faction – and my family – and our ideals to live for others, not to delve into our own selfish desires.

It was about half an hour into the aptitude test that Elizabeth's name was called. The Abnegation volunteer called out two names from each of the five factions. She stood, giving me a small smile that I almost missed; I willed my eyes to say what I could not. She seemed to understand, nodding ever so slightly.

About fifteen minutes later, she and the others returned and she took her seat beside me, a faint smile on her lips. I knew she had gotten what she wanted.

"Mia Facular, Grace Summers, Toby Dickson, Gertrude Huma, Howard Lithe." As she finished the five first names, she started on the second lot. I didn't bother listening anymore, my name had been called. As I stood, I saw two other girls from Dauntless and Amity stand as well as two boys from Candor and Erudite.

I took a deep breath and made my way to the open hallway leading to the unknown.

A/N: Hey guys!! well... I got a laptop!! So now I have access to my stories all hours of the day so hey, here's the first official chapter!! the next one shan't be far behind!! 

Thanks for the love and the patience <3 

~wolf-gabby23  

[edited]