Involuntary Misfortune [4]

"They sent you on an errand and you brought back a child?" Deidara asked looking at the red haired girl.

"Yup," Sasori smiled. He watched as Midori watched the television with Yuu. At first she was shy around him- around everyone really. But since Yuu was her age, she got along with him much better than everyone else.

"I don't know man, with you kidnapping people, acting as a substitute boyfriend to make guys jealous and keeping secrets from people...I don't think you're much of a father figure," the blonde muttered.

"Huh? What was that?"

Deidara smiled, "nothing."

Sasori smirked, "good."

"So now Konan's dumping her kid on you?" He asked taking a drink from the mug before him that was filled with coffee. The red head shrugged but kept his eyes on Midori. "From player to nanny, nice transition."

"Shut up," he muttered causing Deidara to laugh. "Don't you have somewhere you need to be?"

The blonde sat back in his seat, "nope. Besides I thought you'd need help with this whole parenting thing."

"Thanks, but no thanks," he politely declined the offer.

The blue eyed boy scoffed, "fine, but when she wakes up in the middle of the night crying don't call me."

Sasori deadpanned, "she's four years old, not a newborn. Besides if you want to play daddy go get your own child."

He frowned, "maybe I will and my daughter would be prettier than yours."

"Your daughter would be you with mascara." His friend retorted causing Deidara to almost choke on his coffee.

"Let's just hope Midori doesn't get that smart mouth of yours," he grumbled.

Sasori chuckled and looked back at the green eyed girl he'd adopted. Hopefully he'd be a good role model for her. Having his parents die at a very tender age and knowing what it's like to be alone made him somewhat able to sympathize with the toddler. But just as how his grandmother was there for him, he'd be there for her. She'd never lack anything for she was his responsibility now.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when Midori turned and saw him staring at her. Her emerald eyes held such sadness, but regardless of that he offered her a smile. Aware of the situation at hand he knew it would take a while for her to happy, he was unsure of her even being truly happy. But what happened next gave him hope and a positive attitude.

She smiled back.

...

"Gomen Sakura," Ino sulked. "I didn't realize that you hadn't told him yet a-and..."

The pink haired girl laughed, "it's fine." It really was, Sasuke was discharged from the hospital the day before and things had been going pretty well since them. "No harm done."

"But that was supposed to be your moment and I took it," she groaned.

Sakura sighed, "Sai, could you place tell her that it's okay?" She asked looking at the pale boy.

The black haired boy offered his wife a close eyed smile, "it's okay Ino. It's not your fault that you always speak without thinking first."

Both girls turned to look at him, "on second thought..." Sakura said breaking the tension before Ino decided to kill him. "Ino-"