Chapter 2

"Dipper!" A gruff male voice called out. I sighed, I knew it was Grunkle Stan; he was probably going to ask me to do a chore or something. I put down the book that I was reading and yelled back to him, "What?" I awaited a response for a couple seconds but never got one. "What?" I yelled louder this time so Stan could hear me.

"Come here!" Stan responded.

I made a noise of slight protest and frustration. He never tells me exactly what to do, I hate his vagueness. I climbed out of my bed, hopped down the steps and glided into the living room where Stan was sitting in his favorite (and only) recliner.

"Can you work the cash register today? I assume you know how to because of how much time you spend over there." I rolled my eyes at Stan's comment, feeling a little embarrassed. He was right, I spent a lot of time at the register hanging out with Wendy.

"Yeah sure, I guess," I responded, "Is Wendy not here today?" I asked, a little disappointed.

Grunkle Stan nodded, "Yeah she called in sick but I assume she's out with her friends and that lousy boyfriend of her's. It seems like she gets a new boyfriend every couple weeks huh?"

Thinking about Wendy's new boyfriend, Ben, was enough to cause me to lose my temper. Why were they even dating? Ben was a total loser, he had no job, no car and, he always ignored Wendy. She never noticed or cared, though. Then again, I was a weird 15-year-old boy with an unhealthy crush on Wendy. I really needed to get over her. It had been two summers, yet still, every time she smiled my heart skipped a beat.

I was pulled back to reality when Stan started speaking to me again.

"What are you waiting for, kid? Get to the register and start working." I sighed solemnly and made my way to the register. I entered through the back door of the shop and sat on the stool. I silently waited for the next round of tourists to come bursting through the doors.

Before that could happen, Mabel came in through the back door, practically bouncing.

She asked, "Hey Dip Dop! Where's Wendy?"

I bit the inside of my cheek and answered, "She called in sick."

Mabel frowned and said, "Darn, I was hoping we could have a random dance party." Mabel walked up next to me and sat down in the chair I would usually sit in when Wendy was working her shifts.

"Wanna help me out with the cash register, Mabel?" I asked. "Of course!"

I looked at the clock, anticipating the next wave of customers. It was 11:56, meaning that the 12 o' clock tourist bus was about to come. I picked up one of Wendy's magazines that she would read when things were slow. The cover said Lumberjack Weekly. I laughed a little and handed the magazine to Mabel.

"Check this out," I said.

"Ooo! This sounds like it'd be fun to read." Mabel responded semi-sarcastically. She opened the magazine and started reading out loud, "How to Properly Clean Your Ax." Mabel laughed at the article and said sarcastically, "I've been cleaning my ax wrong all this time!" I laughed in response.

I heard the distant sound of a sluggish bus motor and I jumped out of my seat. "We've got tourists, Stan!" I yelled. Stan came bursting through the back door in his suit and a fez.

He sniffed the air and said, "Mm, I can almost smell the money." I rolled my eyes at his materialistic ways. People started flooding in through the main entrance. Most of them were carrying cameras. There were a couple kids, no doubt being dragged along by their parents. I rushed back to my position behind the cash register and heard Stan gathering a tour group with his ridiculous script of sorts.

"Come see the mysteries that lie within the Mystery Shack!" He yelled, attracting about five more people. Within minutes, the store was packed and I was counting change for customers. Mabel was bagging items, trying to help me out. Stan guided a new group of people on a tour and other customers wandered around, looking at all the stuffed creatures.

20 minutes later, most of the people were gone and customers were slowly filtering out. Then, a new family entered the shop, four people, to be precise. This was unusual considering most tourists had already left. Among them were a mother and father, a young boy, and a tall teenager. The young boy looked very enthusiastic while the teenager looked bored and maybe even... heartbroken? I soon caught myself staring at the family and the teenager looked at me. I quickly blushed and looked away, pretending like I wasn't staring curiously at the tall, handsome lad. The family looked around a little bit before the mother decided to buy a snowglobe. She walked up to the cash register, snowglobe in hand.

Mabel, of course, struck up a conversation with the mom as I was counting out her change.

"Are you new to this town, Miss?" Mabel asked.

The woman laughed and said, "Why yes! How did you know?"

Mabel cheerily answered, "Most tourists have cameras and you don't, which means that you don't have to take any pictures." The woman's two sons then walked up beside her and listened to their conversation.

"Well, you're very observant, what's your name?" The mother asked.

"Mabel! It's nice to meet you, I hope you have a nice time in Gravity Falls. You know, if you guys haven't had lunch yet, I'd recommend going to Greasy's Diner. They have fantastic pancakes!"

The mother considered Mabel's suggestion and said, "You know, you're a very nice girl, Mabel. I think we'll come back here tomorrow and see what else you guys have here. I bet Greg would like that, wouldn't you?"

The little boy who I now knew was named Greg said, "Yeah! Wirt can come too!" Greg pulled on the teenagers sleeve, who I guessed was Wirt.

Wirt stuttered slightly and said, "I-i don't know Greg, it depends."

Greg responded, "I know you want to come again because you keep looking at the cashier boy! Come on Wirt please?"

Wirt blushed immensely and said, "Alright, I'll come tomorrow." Greg then cheered in response. Wirt's mother took her now paid for snow globe and headed towards the door.

"See you tomorrow Mabel! Jeff, we're leaving."

The father, Jeff looked up from the postcard rack and said, "What? Oh! Okay I'm coming." The father rushed to his wife's side and the family walked out the door and left.

Wait a minute, did Greg say Wirt was looking at me?

~~~~
Author's note
Hola everyone I hope you enjoyed this chapter, if you want to ask any questions or give suggestions to improve my writing you can comment. Please vote and comment! I greatly appreciate it :) byeeee