Chapter 7

As I typed out my message, another warm tear rolled down my cheek. They were arguing again. After my mom remarried, I thought she wouldn't have to worry about fighting with her own spouse. Alas, my parents never got along. They did at first but now it seemed whenever my parents spent time alone, they would fight.

I could hear them yelling upstairs, just a couple rooms away from mine. I'm just glad that Greg isn't here so he won't have to listen to them. He's over at a friend's house. We've only been here a week but he already made a friend named Andrew. Greg is gone, which leaves me upstairs in my unlit room, crying like a child. For some reason, I remembered Dipper while my parents were arguing. I knew I needed to talk to someone, and he was all I had. He's the only person I really have right now. I was too afraid to text him sooner because I feared he would leave me like everyone else does. I have no one now. Greg isn't here to stop the dark thoughts from flooding my brain again. I can hear his voice.

Why are you alive? You are of no use to anyone. It would be better if you died.

The voice fills my head. It's the voice of The Beast. He's haunted me ever since I left The Unknown. I can never stop his taunts once they begin.

"I need to s-stay alive... for Greg," I brokenly whisper.

He'd be better off without you. You're so idiotic. You won't even listen to the voice of reason.

"You are not the voice of reason!" I whisper harshly. "Leave me alone." I tug at my unruly hair, trying to get his voice to stop.

You need me. You need me to tell you how useless you are. If it wasn't for m-

The Beast's voice was interrupted by a sound coming from my phone. It was Dipper.

Dipper: Hey Wirt! I'm sorry you were so busy. How are you?

I typed out my response,

Wirt: i'm fine, how are you?

Dipper: Pretty terrible, to be honest

I was surprised with Dipper's honest response and replied,

Wirt: ok, i lied. i feel really terrible too

Dipper answered immediately,

Dipper: What's wrong?

I dropped my phoned and sighed. There's so much wrong with my life I don't even know where to begin.

Wirt: my parents are fighting again. i'll be fine, though. I reply.

I await his response and lay down on my bed. I realize that The Beast's voice is gone. I breathe a sigh of relief. I won't have to listen to him for a while now. But, I know nothing will ever really silence The Beast's voice. He always comes back, one way or another. My phone buzzed, revealing another message,

Dipper: Are you safe? Are you able to leave the house? Meet me at Greasy's Diner if you can. Please stay safe.

I smiled warmly for what seemed like a long time. Maybe Dipper really does care about me.

He doesn't care about you. Don't be foolish. He probably just wants something from you.

I ignored the Beast's taunting voice and gathered the courage to sneak downstairs. My parent's yelling continued. I wasn't completely aware of what they were saying; I always tried to tune it out the best I could. I wiped the remaining tears off my face as I walked toward my bedroom door.

The floorboards creaked beneath my feet. I cautiously opened my bedroom door and walked out in the hallway. I silently prayed that my parents would continue their bickering to grant me an easy escape. I gingerly made my way down the staircase. Being in a new unfamiliar house, I was afraid of not knowing which steps would make noise when I stepped on them. I got to the bottom of the staircase and sauntered over to the front door.